Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket in-dash question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 PM
1st Gear
Default aftermarket in-dash question

So I have a new 7.5" screen I want to mount in my 2001 A4 but I can only seem to find those cheap plastic mounting brackets... I want something thats going to look really clean and not garbage with those 20 dollar plastic harness's from best buy. I was thinking of getting a fiberglass custom install done on it but local shops here want like 400 bucks to get that done. F that. So I was just curious how you all (if you have) installed aftermarket in dash screens, if you know any online stores that have better quality mounting brackets or anything else that might help. Im just looking for a really clean looking install.

Thanks for the help

Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Default RE: aftermarket in-dash question

Mine has a plastic surround, and it looks fine. It looks like the OEM plastic, however I believe it was handmade by whoever installed the last CD player in the car before I bought it. It's only a whopping Inch or so on each side of the unit, and besides, if you have a screen thats what everyone will be looking at anyways.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

i havae an 01 a4 aswell and i had to handmake the brackets an trim for mine, but tweeter does sell it and the trim is suppose to match your interior(havent seen it but thats wat they told me

Old 11-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Site Moderator

I got my radio surround custom made with 3/4" mdf painted to match for $200.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 AM
4th Gear

seriously ? 400 bucks to do that ?...i need to start making fiberglass **** to sell

Old 11-28-2006, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

metra makes a double din kit for the 2000 and 2001 dash yes it is plastic but it makes really well and fits even better most people can't tell that it is there the metra # is 99-9105 i bought mine on egay 4 months ago

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDI-A4-2000-01-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

so burton who is tweeter? and where can i get a link to what you are talking about.

Bacondait what is mdf? and what shop did you take it to? All we have is CarToys and aspen sound and ya they do want 400 bucks...thats when i walked out the store casue that is a ripoff big time.

And kraylon i checked out that link you sent me and I had one question...Can you put the cubby piece in the top or bottom slot? Just wondering because i want the unit to sit in the lower slot to keep the screen as far away from the vents and cup holder as possible (so i can still use them lol)

And another question for ya, where did you guys mount the brain for the head unit. Under the seats is way too crammed. You wire all the way back to the trunk or what?

Thanks again for the help

Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator

MDF= Medium Density Fibreboard. I took mine to a local audio shop.

You may want to try the phone book on this one.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:04 PM

I'd recommend mounting the brain up High behind the Dashboard, that way you don't have to run wires throughout your whole car. I'd also recomend using the Metra install kit that Kraylon is talking about, I believe that you can mount it either above or below that cubby whole, I had a similar on int my integra and mounted the CD player above, so nothing would roll out and scratch or damage the faceplate on it butkeeping the screen away from the vents is probably a good idea! Just promise us you won't pay $400 for somehting so simple!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 PM
4th Gear

Why not take a stab at fabing something yourself. Use cardboard or better yet foam board to make a templet, then cut your MDF (wood) or fiberglass the templet. Either way trying to do it yourself will cost you less than $40. Tweeter is a store in not sure if they have stores outside of IL.

Quick Reply: aftermarket in-dash question