Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahhh car feels loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Default Ahhh car feels loose

I had a bad wheel bearing so i got a new one, im putting it in this weekend...the past few days the side with the bad wheel bearing when i pull out kind of hard it sounds like something in my trunk goes to the back, so i took everything out and i stilll hear it? could that be related to the bearing?

Also the front suspension seems kind of loose, and make some clunking noises over bumps...so i was thinking struts...so when i get the money im going to get the lowering springs and new struts, hopefully that fixes it..if not i dont know what it is...

I just hate having a nice car that has something wrong wiht it..makes it look like i dont take care of it or something.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Ahhh car feels loose

Which wheel has a bad wheel bearing and who diagnosed it as bad? What are the symptoms? And you hear something in your trunk?Replacing your suspension is nice, but first check out your outter tie rods/tie rod ends. They are a common early replacement part in our cars, B5's at least. Lose steering would indicate bad tie rods, and slight clunking when going over bumps. If its more like a rubbing squeeky sound then consider control arms. According to one of our memebers whostech certified, Audi struts hardly ever fail before 200K+ miles.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

^^^^^ cant baet that advice

Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: ironman

^^^^^ cant baet that advice
Nope, but I wonder if anyone can beat it?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM

^ keep it in your pants!!

Agreed, it's most likely your tie rods/ends thats making the noise and the bump steer....

good luck...If you're looking for a deal, eBay hasem cheap, but as of right now I have not heard any reviews...

goold luck, if you are handy, you shouldn't have too much of a problem changing them yourself...

Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Site Moderator

Im not sure if ebay sells the beefy version, but thats the one you want. Like from here: http://www.purems.com/products/products.php/CA=1650
I got the Meyle brandwhen I did mine.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Site Moderator

Im gonna second onepoint8tee's advice on the tie rod ends for the loose steering and the squeak/bang going over bumps is most likely the upper control arms.
Stuts almost "never" fail on any audi un-less you see it spilling fluid which is un-likely.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM
4th Gear

Except that he says it is coming from his trunk. If your car was pre-wired for the trunk CD unit, I would check the wiring. Audi "taped" the wires to the side of the car. If the tape falls off, thethe stiff wire and connector flop around and cause noise when you accelerate or make sharp turns.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM

well the diagnosis on teh wheel bearing was by me..it was making the whirring sound like i had some big beefy winter tires on, but i dont and it keeps gettin worse..then my buddy who is a mechanic took it for a ride and said hte same thing..it only happens sometiems on straights but stops when you like hit a bump and puts preasure down on the tire, then when you are making right turns...left turns are quiet, but its really loud now...

i got new control arms on the driver side rear...not tie rod ends...
and its hard to explain..the steering is fine...no loose turning of the wheel, just when i hit bumps it will clunk..and on curves at speed if there are bumps or something it feels like the strut is gone and the tire just bounces up and down and i notice it sliding over.....

Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Site Moderator

Thats called bump steer buddy, and yes your tie rods being out of alignment is what causes it.
Audi has two adjustments on the tie rod end, toe in and out, and it has raised toe which is for bump steer. More than likely your tie rod ends are shot.

Quick Reply: Ahhh car feels loose