Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alaram probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 PM
1st Gear
Default alaram probs

last night my alarm went off by itself and would keep going every 2-3 minutes after turning it off. finally i unplugged the battery because i had no idea what to do . this afternoon i checked out all locks and noticed that the door opener/motor inside the trunk went crazy (just kept trying to open or close the door but didnt do anything) and after about 2 minutes stopped. i thought it burned down, but when i opened the door again, it worked fine. now it keeps struggling when i drive and the whole alarm/door system's fucked. whenever i try locking the door it doesnt let me, or once i get it locked after a couple of tries, it wont let me open... any suggestions to what could be wrong with it?

Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: alaram probs

Turn off the interior sensor. It could also be one of the door sensors that tell the car whether the door is open or closed. Get someone with a VAGcom and check for codes in the door system.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

Hey man, I'm having the SAME problems. I just got back from dropping the car off at the dealer. Apparently this isn't a very common problem with these cars. The guy said it could be a few things wrong with mine. He said the cylinder or linkage in the door could be screwed, the sensor in the door could be screwed, or the entire pump itself could be screwed. I just got pissed off and took it in. He said he'd probably have it fixed for $200, money well spent IMO. It's about the strangest thing you could ever imagine isn't it? Absolutely pissed me off. Good news is that there's 2 outstanding recalls on my car that he told me about. One had to do with the suspension (I'm assuming control arms) and a vacuum line in the engine compartment which he said could also be contributing to my door problems. I'll keep posted as to what happens with mine, said they might have it done later today.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE: I just got a call from the service guy. Apparently my sunroof drain was clogged or something, causing water to run down and get into the pump. The pump is ruined, $1,150 with parts and labor. I'm buying BMW next time, screw this.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:31 PM

yea good luck with you POS BMW if you were smart about it you would have shopped around and found one in a wreakers or something for a hell of a lot less but sounds like your attitude you belong in a BMW

Old 11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, like I could have installed that pump myself. Have you looked at that alarm system? It would have been damn near impossible for me to do it and the Audi dealer I know for a fact wouldn't install a used part. I didn't have any time to waste, the car was basically unuseable while this problem was occuring, I couldn't wait even 2 more days, I have to have a car. I really don't know how water could get from my sunroof to my wheel well in the trunk, that is a huge design flaw IMO.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Default RE: alarm probs

BMWs have problems as well you know, I just changed over to AUDI from BMW because of that as I have had a few AUDIs and not so much trouble the BMW gave me "both good cars though" but I have been converted back to AUDI

Old 11-08-2005, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

I realize that all cars have problems, but what the hell? I'm not gonna sell the car tomorrow, but I just bought the car 2 1/2 months ago, you have to realize that I just slammed down 10% of what I paid for the car just to have one little part of the car fixed, kinda makes you wonder what could go wrong next, you know? I love the car, but at this rate there's no way I can afford it. We'll see how things go for the next few months.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:21 PM

I understand your problem well mate and hope things get better which ever car you get, I being a mechanic softens the cash blow when things go wrong but not the cost of the parts and BMW come high up on cost for bits, why not have them turn the alarm system off with their diagnostic tool and save the hassle then fit your own alarm "they can turn it off you know" good luck on your cars mate

Old 11-08-2005, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

dude, you bought a used car and it had some issue that you didn't know about, and it's costing you money to fix...that's what happens with any used car. if something goes wrong on your car (even if it's a bmw) and it's outta warranty you gotta pay to fix it. my friends 323ci is having endless problems with the dash, it just keep stops working. you'd think bmw would get their electrical issues straight...see i can make silly comments about bmw too just like you did for audi. it's a machine, it breaks sometimes. get a new car or a car under warranty if you don't wanna be footing bills.

i would have to agree with clconversion, your attitude seems very bmw-like. most audi owners buy audis cause they want one of the nicest cars, without the attitude and arrogance, at least that's why i got mine...although i will certainly admit i think audis are the best car in their class.

you can't afford the used audi, but you can afford to and will be "buying a bmw next time...screw this...?" why even make a comment like that on this forum...other than the fact that it makes no sense cause both brands cost about the same, you know you're gonna get flamed for it here.

i hope you can fix your car alright, but don't be irrational about the whole thing.

Quick Reply: alaram probs