Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All kinds of problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Default All kinds of problems

Bought an Audi A4 couple of days ago for £200. Wondering if it was worth it.

Discovered these problems ... so far.

1) The car knocks really loud when turning hard right or left, mostly happens when turning in a tight right.

2) Something up with brakes at front, I think. ABS light and brake light comes up with a beep on comp display. And I can hear a grinding noise whilst driving.

3) Exhaust roars like a monster when accelerating and then rattles like mad, but Exhaust is not loose. You can hear me coming a mile off.

4) The engines stutters badly (as if it is going to cut out) at low revs, but usually stablilises after a while.

5) The gear changes are really choppy, and there is a hefty kick in the back (right in the kidneys, lol) sometimes when the gear changes quickly.

6) Car doesn't accelerate very well beyond 40/45 miles and hour. Tried pushing it and it seems to resist.

7) The oil is thick with dirt and sludge and the dipstick is broken around the point of entry.

Well I know what the problem is with the ABS light and grinding noise, and the knocking when turning - that's all I've found out so far. Had an estimate on the CV joint and brakes - about £300.

Someone suggested exhaust noise might be muffler/silencer? Or the cat. Both expensive to fix, I'm told.

Any clues about what could be causing some of the other problems I've mentioned, appreciated.

Last edited by penge; 08-07-2008 at 06:16 AM.