Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Blown Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Another Blown Turbo

OK, so back in like November my stock turbo died. Of course i wanted to replace it with something bigger, so not wanting to over do it since i have a TIP, and the ease of the swap a K04 was chosen.
Now 3 months later the K04 sounds like the K03 did (screeching dentists drill), I'm trying to figure out what is causing these damn things to die. I know i don't' have a FMIC and exhaust yet which are not really required, but very recommended, even still i don't think that having extra back pressure would be causing the bearing in the turbo to blow, am i wrong?

The first one i have written off to a possible low oil situation and the turbo not getting the oil it needed resulting in a blown bearing.
The K04 I bought used, and i did notice very very slight movement in the shaft, so slight it was hard to determine if it was moving or not.

At this point i need to keep the car running since i sold my Saab yesterday (what great timing), so i am prob going to order a K04 and a timing belt kit from ECS tomorrow and do both jobs at once. I think the turbo will be much easer to work on having the front of the car wide open for the belt job. also thinking about blowing the oil lines out with a compressor to make sure they aren't clogged and the root of my issues, are their any other things i should be checking while i'm in there?

Thanks!!!! you guys are awesome!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:14 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Another Blown Turbo

do you have any sludge problems ?

i would replace the oil and coolant feed lines

also i think supreme power has k04's cheaper then ecs

Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lazer Viking

do you have any sludge problems ?

i would replace the oil and coolant feed lines

also i think supreme power has k04's cheaper then ecs
I agree

Old 02-20-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

I hear a lot of people are having the same problem with ko4 up grades the cure is test pipe or hiflow cat and exhaust. I know some one who has gone through 2 ko4's because of amount heat and back pressure of the stock exhaust creates.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Alright, i'll order new lines with the turbo, and take a look over at supream power. no sludge problems i know of, looked like normal oil when i drianed it last.

the exahust is next on my list of things to do, so i might have to see if i can get that done any sooner.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 PM
4th Gear

what kind of oil are you using

Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear

Widdget, I mentioned to someone on here before about the same problem I had. I bought the K04 package from AWE-Tuning. Its a sweet deal but I blew two turbos with in a matter of 4 months from them. I couldnt believe it and went through many of trial and error things to do. Ended up the reason the turbos kept blowing was I needed a hi-flow cat and exhaust. You might not think it could have that much back pressure build up but it sure ended up being the problem. You will probably continue to have this problem if you dont buy these. I recieved my third turbo from them and havent had one problem at all after installing the hi-flow cat and exhaust. THANK GOD they had a one year warranty or I would have paid tons of money replacing these turbos. On the AWE website it recommends buying an exhaust system. Hope it works out for you. By the way, whoever keeps saying its the diverter valve causing this is an idiot!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

have you checked your fuel system as well?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 AM
2nd Gear

poop??

totally pointless post.

j/k, i suggest a exhaust system, free up that exhaust flow. watch your driving, if you romp on er, give it some cool down time. shutting the car off directly after driving is kinda...well...bad. so dont do that. and if all these things you know already....****** my bad. dont mean to preach.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

only mobile 1 for my girl.

hahaha, thanks for deleting all the BOV sh*t.

I will have to see about getting an exhaust soon.

thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Another Blown Turbo