Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of you ever regret getting the Audi you got?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Any of you ever regret getting the Audi you got?

Not to say regret getting an Audi in the first place, but just the particular one you got. I'm kinda pissed because after only having my A4 for just under a year, I have already spent $3200, and my clutch may be going soon, arghhhh. The thing that really pisses me off is I just found an S4 on craigslist, black on black, with coil overs, apr stage 1 chip, and rims for $16000. I purchased my 2000 1.8TQfor $13000 after taxes, and with all the money I have spent so far on it, I could have got an S4 with mods for less money. Bums me out. But I guess if anything were to go wrong with the S4, it would be much spendier to fix.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Any of you ever regret getting the Audi you got?

Not for a second.

Next time you buy an audi, make sure it has an impeccable maintenance history. If it does not, either dont buy it, or take it to a dealer, and pay for a thourough inspection, worth every penny.

Look at things this way.....if the cluctch goes, good excuse for an upgrade. brakes need replaced? Time for some upgraded rotors and pads. Turbo going out? Time to get that BT in there.

And as far as the S4 goes, think of it this way.....the s4 is prone to break even more, and lot of things need replaced in duplicate engine wise. It probably would have cost you even more in maintenance for a car like that one. So, you wouldn't really be even up there. (You did mention this).

Of course hindsight is 20/20.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought mine (really cheap by the way), as it had a bunch of problems before I even bought it, and I researched how to fix them before I bought the car. So, I talked them down a lot, and DIY'd all the repairs, and got a nice car cheap. And I knew the t-belt would need replaced after a bit and how much it would cost.

Regardless, a little research, a good history, and/or a thourough inspection will help you out greatly the next time around.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Site Moderator

Any of you ever regret getting the Audi you got?
I regret that my wife cant/wont drive manual and had to settle for tip... I do regret not investigating more about quattro before hand though. Other than that, no regrets whatsoever. Somehow life goes on and driving is still a thrill with tip/front trak...
Life will be even better when I get a qm... Someday soon... It will happen... Oh yes...

Old 06-15-2007, 03:55 PM

i wanted a quatrro v6 and ended up with a fronttrak 1.8t. It's not so bad though i do wish it was quattro at least.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:01 PM
3rd Gear

I do my maintenance myself - I did my Timing belt myself - TRE's myself...on and on - I love working on this car. My wife calls it my hobby. I got it dirt cheap and I expected to put some time into it. I have not had anything major go wrong with it so I've been very happy. I would do it again and I will do again when I start looking for a new project. Only thing is next time its going to be a manual.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear

i kinda wish i would have got a 2.8 instead of my 1.8T, reason being i have no intention to mod my car, and the 2.8 has more options and crome/wood accents and whatnot. I am satisfied with my car though.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

wow! you just spelled my life out perfectly, onepoint8. i had a choice between two 02' a4's, one manual and one tip. my girl is the same way, so i settled on tiptronic. sigh... i regret it everyday. i shouldve made her learn 5 speed! i still love it, and enjoy driving it but its not the same.... i dream of the day its traded out for a manual.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear

I kind of regret buying mine since I already had to dump 5,000 in repairs since Feb. when I bought it. I do drive it for work and have put 10K on it since I bought it. It runs stong just needs a little more work (timing belt/water pump, brakes, boost problem.)

Old 06-15-2007, 05:27 PM

I don't regret any of my cars. My TT is a blast as is my S4 and my A4 is a great mule. I drive that car almost 1200 a month and it's been trouble-free driving for almost 20k miles. I'm coming up on my timing belt/water pump/pulley job and that's not something I want to mess with myself, but I have been treated really well by Sewickley Audi near Pittsburgh, PA and they gave me a reasonable quote for the job. I know I can probably get it done cheaper at an independent shop, but with the Audi dealer I get the parts warranty and the knowledge that it will be done correctly.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Quattro_1.8t

I kind of regret buying mine since I already had to dump 5,000 in repairs since Feb. when I bought it.
Thats what happens when you dont DIY. I would be very regretful owning this car if I didnt know how to follow DIYwriteups andturn a wrench.

Quick Reply: Any of you ever regret getting the Audi you got?