Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone considered converting stock IC to water/air?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone considered converting stock IC to water/air?

has anyone ever or does anyone know of anyone that has converted the stock side mount intercooler to a water/air intercooler?

Old 11-29-2005, 06:46 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Anyone considered converting stock IC to water/air?

Yeah, some have. It has some benifits and some downfalls.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

i know it has some downfalls (plumbing, pumps...etc)...i have a W/A IC on my VW beetle. having the engine in the back makes having an A/A intercooler almost impossible.

anyone have any pictures or first-hand experiences with an A4?

Old 11-29-2005, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

Just a spanner in the works here, but have you considered water injection instead? It's a great bit of kit, but you don't hear much about it in the US, (at least i haven't anyway). It shoots a jet of water mist into the intake, and it not only colls the core down, but enables you to run a higher boost level and it aids with predetonation. Another thing you can do is run the water 50/50 water/meths and increase your octane. Just a thought.

Aquamist webby

Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

i don't want to run water injection in my A4.....i don't plan on running any more boost at the moment. i just wanted to make my intercooler more efficient.....rather than getting a HUGE FMIC kit and having to hack away half of my bumper to install it.

i'm considering water/alchy injection on my vdub though. but i certainly wouldn't be injecting before the intercooler. i wouldn't want any water pooling any place so i'd be injecting right after the throttle body.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

Well you can get some dual side ics, or just buy a evo, requires no cutting. The only way to add hp and crank the boost with these cars aswell. And with a intercooler and you can really do that.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

why do i need to go with 2 intercoolers or 1 large one?

.....the whole point of going water/air was to make the stock sized core as efficient as a dual air/air setup.

1 single intercooler is going to have less or a pressure drop than 2 intercoolers......i'm just not sure if the stock IC will flow enough to make it worthwhile.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:33 AM
4th Gear

I know exactly what your talking about and its not worth. If it was, don't you think it would be talk about more, and more people would have been sucessful with it.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 AM
1st Gear

possibly.......it just seems like everyone throws money at their cars and wants to put on the newest and most expensive stuff cuz its cool......not because it is the best for performance.

look at all the Hon-duh guys running tiny little turbos and HUUUUUUUGE intercoolers. they know nothing about thermodynamics or fluid mechanics. they don't realize that bigger isn't always better.

......just thought i would try and think outside the box... after all lead>follow

Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 AM
4th Gear

Sweet, build ur setup then. And be ready for a world of nightmares.

Quick Reply: Anyone considered converting stock IC to water/air?