Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APR K04 installed, first impressions and pinging issues

Old 08-24-2006, 12:16 AM
1st Gear
Default APR K04 installed, first impressions and pinging issues

Well I had the K04, new oil feed line and fuel filter installed, drove to RPI Equipped to get flashed.

Setup:

Borg Warner K04-15, APR K04 software, Chevron 94 octane gas , DSMIC, Jet Jockey Turbo inlet pipe, TT225 injectors, Milltek exhaust, new catalytic

First impressions:

This is definately not stage 1+ anymore but at the same time it is not a overwhelming performance increase. It is like being chipped again for a 3rd time.

As before 1st gear is pretty much useless as it ends so fast.

2nd gear is a lot different as it pulls all the way to 6200rpm to 90kph.

3rd gear is different too as it pulls nicely all the way to 6200rpm. I actually didn't get a chance yet to try 4-6th gear as I ran out of road and I was doing about 130kph at that point in time.

The biggest difference I noticed is the fact every time I stepped on the gas the car responded by thrusting forward and this was throughout the rpm band to 6200. Pretty much confirms that the power band has widened over the higher rpm range.

The amount of boost held is around 12psi and peaks around 20psi for the first 3 gears.

I'm going to let the car adapt a bit then take it to the dyno next week to see what the graphs look like.

Issues:

My car pinged with APR stage 1+ with the 93 octane map and it still does a bit with the K04 software under hard acceleration. Before it pinged at 2-2800rpm in 2nd gear. Now it does it a bit at 2nd gear @ 4-4600rpm and intermittently in 3rd.

I did switch to the 91 octane map and hammered it many times and had no pinging.

RPI suggested that I finish this tank of 94, add some octane booster and fill with 94 again in up the octane to see if that helps eliminate the pinging when I am using the 93 map.

If it does we'll see if APR can back off the timing a bit unless someone can suggest something else for me to try.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: APR K04 installed, first impressions and pinging issues

pinged? like detonating? or knocking? deff let the car adapt becuase apr uses an adaptive ecu. it took my car about 40 miles to adapt but more for the first time.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

Pinging like the sound you hear when you shake a can of spray paint.

And if you would be so kind can you describe what your version of 'adaptation' is as I think I might have gotten the wrong idea.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Zombie Defense Force

well the ecu learns
is something loose. or is it pinging because of a bad tune. is it hot where you are

Old 08-24-2006, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

Well I just got flashed today and I live in Vancouver, BC and today it was cool outside.

I don't think anything is loose as I can recreate the sound under hard acceleration and when i do a smooth acceleration there is no pinging.

It has been suggested that I let the ECU adapt using the 91 octane map but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Doesn't the ECU adaptation get 'wiped' when I change maps?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Zombie Defense Force

i would vag it becuase it shouldnt be doing that. what it soulds like is your detonating and thats not good. i would go back and find out whats up

Old 08-24-2006, 02:24 AM
1st Gear

what plugs are you using?? If you are using the stock ones or of equal heat range, I would go down a heat range in plugs. For exmaple, if you were running NGK BKR6E, I would simply go with the BKR7E.

This would be a start.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:31 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: RLB6

what plugs are you using?? If you are using the stock ones or of equal heat range, I would go down a heat range in plugs. For exmaple, if you were running NGK BKR6E, I would simply go with the BKR7E.

This would be a start.
+1

Old 08-24-2006, 03:38 AM
1st Gear

With 94 in the tank it pings in 93 mode and silent in 91 mode.

I'm running stock spark plugs right now and the dealer swapped them out with new ones a couple of months ago.

I know nothing about spark plugs so what does chaging them do?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:40 AM
2nd Gear

The pinging is just pre-detination, and i dont know about audis, but many cars with turbos, expecially aftermarket ones with increased boost have
"tinging" issued. The idea behind letting it get set on 91 octain is that if the pinging decreases on 91, then you keep the programming but put in 94 octain fuel, you wont have any pinging. And i dont know exactally, but i just got my car flashed with APR, and the booklet it comes with said that under NO circumstances should you use octain booster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APR K04 installed, first impressions and pinging issues