Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assistance please - Used car Audi A4 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Assistance please - Used car Audi A4 2002

Hi All

I intend to purchase an (automatic) Audi A4 2002 , would appreciate if you could let me know the things I would have to check please, since it's an old model 2002.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

2002 is a good model year. What engine are you thinking of getting? I would recommend a 1.8T if you have a choice.

Look for something that has been well maintained and the has the service records to prove it. If you can, have the car inspected by an independent Audi shop before you purchase.

Make sure it is a Quattro, I would not buy a front wheel drive, CVT equipped car.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Look closely at the engine bay for leaks, engine oil, etc, check lights (I like test drive in early evening) and give it a real run-these cars are made to be driven-I scared the seller of the last one I bought on curves leading to a stop! Check tires-good rubber is easily $1000+ and listen, feel and trust your senses, a good car will be tight, ride smooth, have no weird noises, etc. If you have not driven to many Audi's go to a dealer and run through a bunch of late models to get a feel for them. Ask for and check service records particularly oil change records as the 1.8l have a sludging problem that Audi will want to see proper synthetic oil changes at the recommended intervals in order to replace the motor if needed!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

-run it in idle for about 20 mins see if it sputters,
-check for leaks before and after test drive
-take it to a shop and ask them to check all the codes stored in the ecu see if anything was deleted (should only be like 10 bucks)
-make sure your test drive last about 30 mins on the highway
-check for any white or blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe, while its in idle get so you can see under the car and plug the tail pipe with a towl in your hand dont shove it inside and see if you can see smoke leaking out from under and it will be hot so be careful.
-also check the status of the coils (they go bad allllllll the time) when were they last replaced> (if never be ready to shell out about 50-200 bucks on coils use that argument to bring down the price) and ask for proof if they say its been replaced.
-check the compression in the cylinders when you take it to the shop aswell if its not consistant dont buy it or if you still want it cut the asking price in half because this means your going to have to do a rebuild the compression should be no more that 10-15 psi difference 20 is still ok but anything more is majorly pushin it in my opinion.
-get the car fax obviously
-and dont let them use aux equipment as selling points tell them your only interested in the motor running everyday
-and finally make sure you floor it a couple times on the test drive to see how quickly the car reacts.

good luck man let us know how the test drive goes and remember you have 30 days to prove the cars a lemon so if you find that the compression is bad you can take it back and say F U! check your state lemon laws tho to be sure!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

o one more thing check the belts and ask when the last time the timming belt was changed ask for recipts if it was recent, the timming should be changed every like 50-60k i believe! you can check the main belt without having to take anything apart and that can tell you the satus of the others. look for cracks is it still shinny or old and hard and really rough on the outside. if it looks old use this to bring down the price.