Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 change of motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 change of motor

Hello everybody.

Been having trouble with my Audi A4 99 1.8twith 90k, the trouble been the common Oil pressure light along with lifter noise. I was thinking of replacing the oil pump as most posts on here suggest todoin order to resolve this oil pressure light and lifter noise. However my mechanic is suggesting to replace the whole motor for a 2001 1.8t. My question to all of you if you think this is a better solutionand if u think it will work as easy as changing motors and all parts will fit. I like the price of this motor is 350dlls. Which i think is waydown market value.

Pleasegive me your opinion.

Ivan Martinez

Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Audi A4 change of motor

By the time the oil pressure light comes on, there has probablybeen at least upper internal damage to the cam bearings/lobes. The oil pickup screen in the oil pan is a weak link in the 1.8T. It gets sludged up and cuts off circulation to the top of the engine if you dont use fully synthetic oil religiously along with the updated larger capacity oil filter. An 01 engine wont work with your 99 ECU, among other things. Get an engine from a 97-99.

Contact www.shokan.com for an engine. It wont be $350 though.

If youre strapped for cash, you could try just replacing the pump/pickup screen and see what happens.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

thanks. My mechanic tells me that its too hard to exchange the oil pump, that is easier to put a 01 motor, i really dont know if thats true, that he needs to take out the motor to exchange the oil pump, can you fix me with a manual to replace the oil pump as well as the pick up screen?. I think of doing seafoam as well as replacing that oil pump. Sea foam goes in the engine directly? i heard there are diverse methods for using, whats the most recomended?

Thanks Ivan

Old 12-04-2007, 02:58 AM
5th Gear

you put some in the gas tank and some in the crankcase (through a vacuum line on the throttle body) and a 01 engine won't work on your car

Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 AM
5th Gear

oh and replacing the oil pump is easier than an engine swap. you just have to drop the pan, the problem is it gets stuck between the oil pump and subframe so you have to do some raising and wiggling to get it out, and the front of the car is gona be coming off, so its definitely a time consuming job, but definitely doable, you need to find a smarter mechanic

Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 AM
4th Gear

Start with adding 6 fl oz of Seafoam to the crankcase. Drive around 75 miles.
Change the oil. Use a large filter with one of the following:

Castrol, Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Chevron, Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-40
Elf, Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40
Kendall, Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40
Mobil, Mobil 1 0W-40
Pennzoil-Quaker State, Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula 5W-40
Pennzoil-Quaker State, Pennzoil Synthetic European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Pennzoil-Quaker State, Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5W-40
Pennzoil Quaker State, Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula Ultra 5W-30
Seventysix Lubricants, 76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40
Texaco, Havoline Synthetic 5W-40
Total, Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Valvoline, Valvoline Synpower 5W-30
Valvoline, Valvoline synpower 5W-30

Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

Thanks. So to change the oil pump you need to take out the front of the car but probably you dont need to get the motor out to replace the oil pump? Im thinking of getting an oil pump from german autoparts, it does include the pick up line which i believe its one of the main cause for my car troubles. I just replaced the turbo last weekend for a new one and yesterday took my car on the highway and man this car still has a lot of power! and i dont want to mess that up with replacing an engine that stills feel excelent. Anyhow can u indicate me which larger filter to buy?, also does anyone know where i can get sea foam i have trying to locate at some auto parts near my hometown but have not found it.

Thanks

ivan martinez

Old 12-04-2007, 05:54 PM

Hmm. I don't know the estimated price on what the repair of you engine would be, but if it's more than 1400 bucks I'd say don't do it. Ebay is selling some nice engines that you could get less miles for better money.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm make believe

97-2000 = 058 block with external h2o pump
01+ 06A block with internal h2o pump

They dont swap.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Site Moderator

Seafoam isnt gunna do much at this point. Seafoam is more of a preventative thing, not a solution to severe engine sludge.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 change of motor