Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi's suck

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi's suck

Well I really like's the wifes A6 with the 3.0. Not terribly exciting as I'm sure the turbo's would be but enough to keep an old man like me happy and hopefully out of trouble. From what I've read in what seems like countless different bits of information, the 1.8T appears to be guilty of a sludge problem which seems to have been repeatedly blamed more on poor choice of oil and owner related service issues. Seeings how I'm more or less stuck with buying an older A4 (wifes car took the bulk of my funny money fund), I'm a bit leary of getting the 1.8T since I doubt I'll have a 100% true and accurate picture regarding this possible sludge problem on whatever car I do happen to choose. Maybe the nay sayers are making a bigger issue of it than it really is and I am, afterall, one of them lifetime stupid truck guys who use to sneer down at you thru your sunroofs....in short, I know nothing. Again, mods and stuff will never be an issue..unless of course my teenager starts screwing around with the car...something I was extremely guilty of doing when I was his age. Picking the 1.8T would definitetly make my shopping many times easier since they seem to outnumber the 2.8 by about 30 to 1. So...whats the story? Could I expect the same amount of care free miles out of a 1.8 as I could with the 2.8? Or maybe it's better to ask, which one would your suggest to your dad to get?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:48 PM

1.8T is the entry level on the A4 for the power and mods for the young at heart and some oldies like me
2.8 is the older guy but still likes the power and its got it
3.0 and your in bad lands rs territory with the comfort

Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM
4th Gear

haha, put my flame face on... took it off. Nice post. I think you'd love an Audi A4 1.8T, just be sure to get quattro. You can get an 03 Audi 1.8T with 38k miles on it for around 17k... amazing car, fun to drive! Good luck in your search

Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

Man, i saw 12 posts when i read the title was thought to myself, Oh man this guy must be getting ravaged! good to know it was the other way around. good luck in your search

Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 PM

wow that title was misleading, well me and proonthasnow have compared our cars a bit, i would say if you want quick response off the line go with a 2.8 and it seems to have pretty good top speed, my 1.8t seems to lag off the line then it takes off, with a good high spped acceleration too, but mine is completely stock i have heard chipping the 1.8t makes a world of difference, plus maybe plan on changing exhaust they seem very very restrictive, but some say its for bottom end power, i am on the theory the less resriction the better, just my 2 cents and yeah get one with quattro, the auto trannies aren't bad, but i like my buddies triptronic better, i think from 98 and on they did that, not sure though, good luck with the buy

Old 12-04-2006, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

Is there a handling difference with the Quattro? My wifes wagon has it and it's incredible in the corners. I'd naturally assume the FWD would have basically the same handling characteristics up until you got to a slippery road surface (something we tend to be in short supply of here on the Outer Banks of NC). And also thanks for the incredible response and all future advice...you Audi guys aren't near as bad as I thought you were.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

quattro is a must!!!! the difference is much more then on slipery roads get one with sports suspention as well its a little lower and a little stiffer and much more fun around turns

Old 12-04-2006, 06:30 PM
5th Gear

you would be surprised how much the quattro is really doing on dry surfaces as well.... if dont want your wife to walk all over you with her car Id suggest gettin a quattro

Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM
18T
4th Gear

lol nothing like your wife walking over you with her car..

Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 PM
4th Gear

why do we keep getting bad reps ? jeez, we arent audiworld

Quick Reply: Audi's suck