Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic a4, worth modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:05 AM
1st Gear
Default automatic a4, worth modifying?

can someone please help me out? i just recieved a 2000 a4 1.8t, but its auto. can someone give me information as to whether adding things such as a chip, exhaust, etc.. will actually help the car? will the auto trans be able to handle it? i know i'll probably have some power gains, but is it worth it in the long run, or am i better off selling it and buying something else? also i heard adding a bov is not good for audis? can anyone shed some light on this? sorry for being so long. i dont really know that much about euros. thanks in advance..

Old 05-11-2004, 01:10 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: automatic a4, worth modifying?

go to www.goapr.com [sm=smiley34.gif]

Old 05-11-2004, 02:52 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: yoon

can someone please help me out? i just recieved a 2000 a4 1.8t, but its auto. can someone give me information as to whether adding things such as a chip, exhaust, etc.. will actually help the car? will the auto trans be able to handle it? i know i'll probably have some power gains, but is it worth it in the long run, or am i better off selling it and buying something else? also i heard adding a bov is not good for audis? can anyone shed some light on this? sorry for being so long. i dont really know that much about euros. thanks in advance..
You can (and should) get a chip; you'll need a Tip chip, too. Exhaust and intake will round it out very well. Several owners in my club have the same setup and they love it. I wouldn't go out and buy the first brand you hear of though. Search around and ask questions. Make up your own mind. All in all, it will become a beast you'll be proud to own.

Popular recommendations (without my opinion)....
Chips: ABT, APR, AWE (GIAC), MTM
Exhaust: APR, AWE, Borla, Milltek, MTM, Neuspeed
Intake: Evolution Motorports

BOV=Blow off valve. Not good because the audi turbo system is a closed loop system; you don't want to vent the pressure rather divert it back into the system. Therefore... DV=Diverter Valve. I'd definitely upgrade the OE diverter valve if you chip it.

Since you don't know that much about euros, I'd prepare your wallet. They demand attention and they can be expensive to maintain. Be good to it and it will be good to you. Always cool down the turbo, always use Mobil 1 (change it often), stay in touch with the forums and ask questions before you step into unknown territory. Let the guys (like me), who've been there, help you before you get into trouble.

BTW: Where do you live?

Old 05-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Site Moderator

You DO NOT need a tip chip too. Its totally optional for a tiptronic when engine chipped. It increases the tranny oil pressure so that you get firmer, quicker shifts, and even though it can't hurt, it is not mandatory to have one when you chiptune your engine.

But I agree with everything else Imolas4 says, though the audi A4 intake is quite superior to any aftermarket intake you will buy, IMO only of course.

Yoon - Euros cost more to maintain and upgrade. I drive a chipped tiptronic so ask away. You will definitely enjoy the benefits of a chip. Its well worth the investment. The tip chip is worth it too if you have the cash, but you can get that whenever. Decreases shift time to a fraction of a second.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:18 AM
3rd Gear

Yep, as I corrected myself on the other thread, "need" was my way of saying "should" to get the best benefit of the system.

As far as the intake: I agree. I threw in the EVO because he asked and so many other guys swear by them. Personally, I think they are a waste of money, but who am I to argue with a user/owner of an EVO intake? Besides, I have an S4 with an AWE S-flow intake!

Old 05-11-2004, 03:19 AM
Site Moderator

hmm - I really can't comment much on the S4 cuz I don't have one. (as much as I wish I did)

heh - very few people give honest opinions about things they purchase. Even if it sucks they don;t want to look like they made a bad purchase. human nature I suppose.

I bought some bad ground beef one day...[:'(]

Old 05-11-2004, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

imloas: thanks for the suggestions. i'll look into it. by the way, are uppipes/downpipes availabe? do they do any good? is there even such thing? sorry i no nothing about euros. i have a 240, so im asking questions based on my car. oh, and i live in hawaii.

brrman: thanks for the info. what kind of mods do you have?

Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: yoon

....... by the way, are uppipes/downpipes availabe? do they do any good? is there even such thing? sorry i no nothing about euros. i have a 240, so im asking questions based on my car. oh, and i live in hawaii.
Well, Hawaii should not be a problem except for the shipping costs (but I'm sure you're used to that issue).

Downpipes ARE an option, but will be best suited when mated to a high-flow exhaust system. If I recall, Europsort, HKS, and SPP make them; somewhere in the $300 range. I don't recall the details, but here's a link to SPP.

http://www.supremepower.com/category...haust-spp.html

Old 05-11-2004, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

awesome info, brrman & imolas4. thanks!!

yoon, good luck with your mods!

Old 05-12-2004, 03:23 AM
3rd Gear

theres a downpipe I saw that replaces the cat(cuts it out) that I want but depending on the laws in your state that might not be feasable I know in mass its a $10k fine but here in IA its no prob just wish I could find out who makes it....

Quick Reply: automatic a4, worth modifying?