Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Bad Turbo???

Iam looking atgetting rid of my 96 2.8L andgetting a 981.8L.When driving the1.8 I was unable to hear the turbo. When reving the car in neutral there is a small rattle coming fromthe turboarea and I can't hear it wind. There is no boost gauge on the car. How can I tell if the turbo is shot?

Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Bad Turbo???

the airbox covers up the noise. you can tell a turbo is shot if it is not making boost and/or there is a very large cloud of smoke comming out of the exhaust.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

No smoke and no way to tell if there is any pressure building without a gauge. Any other ways of testing the turbo?
I'm guessing that the rattling sound is coming from the wastegate. I believe I would have to pull the cat to checkout this problem-right?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm make believe

wastegates dont rattle. im sure whatever is rattling isnt turbo/performance related. Pulling the cat wouldnt gain you anything. If the car is not unbelieveably slow, like 80hp, it is running fine.

Your letting the quietness of the airbox make you think the turbo is blown. You want to hear it spool some, take out the airbox and you will here the turbo. Its not very big so the spool will not be all that loud.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Well it gets a little more than 80hp but it doesn't seem like 150 to me. I had an integra (with minor mods) years ago that was faster than this A4.

I reada fewposts that stated the wastegate actuator arms cause a rattling sound when you let off of the accelerator. Thats the only time I hear the rattling sound. And I didn't find any loose heat shields ect.Glad to hear that you think the turbo is ok.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 PM
4th Gear

your turbo isnt going to spool in neutral
and an integra will be faster.. lighter, crappier, and less power loss via drivetrain

Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

An integra with minor mods is not faster than an A4, they do spin tires better tho. If the turbo was blown it would be obvious, so if you are wondering then the turbo must be good.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

thats wierd i can always hear my turbo spool and my car is stock besides a exhuast. Even when i didnt have a exhuast i can hear it spool around 4k rpms.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

I think its odd too. I just want to make sure everything is ok before I start doing mods on it. Maybe I'll pick up a pressure gauge. That seems like a sure way to test it.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 AM
1st Gear

Rattle? I had the same problem long time ago when i first got my car. you would think it's the turbo or anything else....maybe it's your engine? low on oil..need new oil change? Check those things out first. Audi turbos are reliable and last long. My car made rattling noise because it was low on oil and the pistols were rubbing again the engine block. well...see if that' s the case. just giving you an idea....

Quick Reply: Bad Turbo???