Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery voltage

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Default RE: Battery voltage

the capacitor, you just can buy one and plug in. basically its like a reservuar, it holds charge. so when the system requires more power part can be drowen fron there.
get one like electrolitic, they are cheap. However have lots of loses. the ceramics have less loses however weak.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

you should get high like 50Volts and high value. get like 10 of them conect them in paralel and you done.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM

Wow! those are some wierd lookin little capacitors. I might look into it.. When you say they just plug in.. where do they go?

Old 02-17-2006, 03:35 PM

easily, they have a markings on them a black mark says the minus. then put them paralele to each other just before the power conector for your amp. It will stabilize the voltage as the amp start to work.

In my amp I have a small 220mF on the power. so instead volts jump between 8 and 6.5V it only jumps between 8 and 7.5 volts. but I have a 1W amp for my guitar working of a 9V battery and its home made.

you should get the 35V 4700mF about 10 of them, and you be fine.

Remember Paralel not in series.

Thats cheaper that the a special box from a store which does exactly the same.

and side afect, if you keep them conected, during winter when battery would be weak, they will give you a jump start. unless you put a switch on them.

ah, oh ye they are leaky, some of there charge might leak out so it may create a constant drain, but thats not a lot.

If you saw Stargate SG1 they had a person who was accended, he created a stargate, which used 7 of like big @$$ industrial capacitors, I think it was 1x10^6F dont remember exact.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10191/8494EAC751B4411ABB441B77F7A8684A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info fellow kakster.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:32 AM

who???

Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 AM

kaklexicon - kakarot
even I figured that one out lol

battery now there are 2 areas of importance
1. if it goes over 15 volts the battery is getting fried because the alternator brushes are worn
2. if it goes below 12 volts the battery is stuffed and alternator "could" be stuffed giving no charge out

Old 02-18-2006, 02:29 PM

kaklexicon - kakarot - Exactly!

What exactly do you mean by the alternator being "stuffed"? It never goes over 15, and never goes below 12, it just moves up and down alot.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:06 PM
6th Gear

Sounds fine to me. Everytime you turn on an electrical load the meter will dip. The voltmeter reads over 12 because that is the voltage the alternator puts out to charge the battery.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:45 PM

actually there is a whole system behind it.
how to make it short.

okey imagine that the generator is a battery, and has a maximum output, which is like 14V and 60amps. also you have a battery which has 12V and 60amps. The total energy recuired by the system ...........

Oh man it way too long....

oh any way, when the voltage drops that means that you drow some power out of the system, the more you take, the more it will drop.

P=A*V

The reason the Volatge drops is becouse of these formula
R=V/A

when you turn sometyhing on the R increases, and becouse you already use some R and you have V and A around stable, when increases R the You take more A and less V.
P=AxV
P/A=V
R=(P/A)/A = P/(A^2)

The generator and battery is not a constant power source in which variables are same.

The electric system in cars is in series, so put more devices there and you increase the reasistons thously you increase the amps and decrease the volts.

It is Normal for volts to flactuate, however if they are jumping constantly then you have a problem. If they jump when like Bass is active, then simply ading another battery or/and capacitors could solve theproblem, but if the volts jump without apliances working then you might have blowen a diode or the faulti guage or generator's power output is wrong, or voltage stabilizer.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:29 PM

Well, it does jump up and down all the time, but more when I have alot of electrical load. But it never affects anything, car runs great. Maybe I'm worrying about it too much? And I just got a brand new battery, Optima Yellow Top so I know the battery is fine.

Quick Reply: Battery voltage