Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belly Pan Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Belly Pan Removal

Please don't rip me a new one for asking about this. I have done a great deal of searching (this forum and others), studied the Bentley manual, crawled under my car, and fought with the bloody thing for an hour. So far I can find not one comprehensive "how to" on removing (and re-installing) the dreaded belly pan (Noise insulation panel).

There are many other components to the "pan". Most of the instructions say something like "remove the six screws and take it off". That's all very well and good, but I'd like to see more comprehensive instructions on how the panel interfaces with the fender liner and the front wheel spoiler(s). I see a lot of discrepancies in various photos and how-to articles. Since you have to take this panel off for lots of mods and maintenance I think it would be valuable to have a good write-up on this. Top of my list would look something like this:

1) How many of each type of screw (actually called dowel pins) are there? There seem to be three different types...the black, short ones with the rubber washer attached, the longer silver ones, and the black plastic ones (called clamping pins) with the associated retaining clips. There are also machine screws involved as well...and nobody has ever mentioned those.

2) Techniques for accessing the various screws. The black plastic ones are a total bitch to get back in. In fact I still can't get two of them back in. Trying to force them just causes the retaining clip behind the plastic to twist in the socket. By the way a large fender washer works well for accessing these screws in tight quarters.

3) Audi part numbers for all of these components? Trying to explain to the kid at the parts counter what you need can take a while. Having the part numbers handy would simplify things greatly.

My passenger side front wheel spoiler got ripped out after an incident with a curb, so trying to figure out how to piece everything back together has been an experience. Even the Bentley manual isn't really all that helpful

One more thing to add. Some say they just leave the panel off when it cracks or breaks, but I find I get some really annoying vibrations from (possibly) the fender liner if I leave it off. With the panel in place the other parts screwed into it are held more securely in place, so no vibrations. It also reduces engine noise and prevents crap from flying up into the engine compartment.

My $.02...

=eb=