Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a bit confused about my 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default a bit confused about my 2.8

i just bought a 1998 a4 2.8 and am a little bit confused about my engine. when i look in the engine compartment, i see "5v" on the engine shroud. does that mean 5 valve? or something else? i've never heard of a 5valve 2.8 a4 before, just a 12v and a 30v... anybody wanna help me out with this one?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:48 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: a bit confused about my 2.8

5V = 5 valves (per cylinder) x V6 (6 cylinder) = 30 valves,

Old 12-20-2006, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

sweet, thanks for the help. cool, i guess i can get one of those chips i've been drooling over after all...

Old 12-20-2006, 01:07 AM
3rd Gear

Don't bother with a chip. Do a search.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

why do you say that? what's the problem with a chip?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome to the forums dude.

The 2.8engine you have there has an extremely reliable, smooth engine, and gives you power when you want to get on the gas. However, when it comes to aftermarket tuning options for that engine, there really isn't much out there. Wood_e is telling you not to bother with the chip because you won't get nearly the same massive HP gains as our 1.8T brethren. You'll see an overall HP gain of 5-8,and it will also smooth out the low-end of your acceleration curve and give you a bit more power in the high end. That's it. Most people don't think its worth it for the $400 or so it will cost you. However, if you've got the money, I know plenty of people have gotten the 2.8 chip and are happy with it, but you shouldn't have high expectations. Your best bet for a chip is GIAC...some other vendors include TAP and Upsolute, but there aren't many user-reviews on those last two.

Like he said, try using the forum search function to find all the info you need. You can also check out the sticky links at the top of the A4 section page for some helpful 2.8 links. If you really want to get the most out of that V6, get yourself a supercharger for a cool $5,000.

You can still tune your suspension, exhaust, exterior/interior until your heart's content :-)

Old 12-20-2006, 02:20 PM

If you look on Ebay you can occasionally find a Supercharger for about $3200 from PES directly, thatd be the best route to go, not a whole lot of mark-up compared to buying from a tuner. If you are knowledgeable about cars it is a fairly straight forward install. You could also run up to a 75 wet-shot of Nitrous on it without any catastrophic effects, but it is always good to do a compression check, as well as changing the plugs to 1 or 2 stages colder. There isn't a whole lot of information on Nitrous, however there are a couple people on the boards who use it, and one I know of is extremely happy with it. I personally plan on running nitrous, after I get my 30V lowered and get some wheels on it. I'll search for the member running nitrous and give you his name.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TheJazz7

Welcome to the forums dude.

The 2.8engine you have there has an extremely reliable, smooth engine, and gives you power when you want to get on the gas. However, when it comes to aftermarket tuning options for that engine, there really isn't much out there. Wood_e is telling you not to bother with the chip because you won't get nearly the same massive HP gains as our 1.8T brethren. You'll see an overall HP gain of 5-8,and it will also smooth out the low-end of your acceleration curve and give you a bit more power in the high end. That's it. Most people don't think its worth it for the $400 or so it will cost you. However, if you've got the money, I know plenty of people have gotten the 2.8 chip and are happy with it, but you shouldn't have high expectations. Your best bet for a chip is GIAC...some other vendors include TAP and Upsolute, but there aren't many user-reviews on those last two.

Like he said, try using the forum search function to find all the info you need. You can also check out the sticky links at the top of the A4 section page for some helpful 2.8 links. If you really want to get the most out of that V6, get yourself a supercharger for a cool $5,000.

You can still tune your suspension, exhaust, exterior/interior until your heart's content :-)
cool, cool
yeah, i knew there wasn't a whole lot of aftermarket tuning available for the 2.8 when i bought it, but it was at a price i couldn't resist (with low miles). I'm planning on possibly supercharging it eventually when i have the money, but right now i'm just focused on saving up some money for college next yearthanks for the info

Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Well I have a GIAC and love it! I think it made it a whole another car...I had to put a stock ECU in and I was crying till I got my GIAC back, but there are other things that I would do to the car long before you beef it up. Its a 98 therefore all the stuff is going to need changed here soon, I would save up for a TB, and seal work. CA, TRE, CV joints....and flush a ton of stuff (dot4, coolant (but TB will do that too) PS.... You get what I am saying...but if you have paper work on all these things then hell chip her, lower her, exhast her. and wait a few years and slap a SC in her.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

yeah, i'm gonna replace the timing belt in the near future for sure

Quick Reply: a bit confused about my 2.8