Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Bose???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Blown Bose???

I've searched many previous posts, and while the subject seems to have been "beaten to death" I'm still confused: My son bought a '97 A4. Circuit City installed a truck FM mod CD changer and shut down the radio. After 2 trips to the dealer for the correct radio code (they ran the SN twice and came up with the same code) he still can't get it to work. We learned from your posts how to clear the radio to accept another try ... and he had the dealer also try. The dealer says it's probaly "a special security blown circuit" in the radio that will make it impossible to get it out of secure mode. Does anyone have any idea if this is legit ??? It sounds like a blow-off to me. Also - many talk about checking the "fuse" first .... I assume if the display lights and we can clear the II off the screen (to allow more attempts) that the fuse is not the issue?? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!

Old 12-06-2004, 01:52 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Blown Bose???

Perhaps the previous owner installed a different audi radio and your code isnt correct? Save yourself some time and hassle, urf ebay. You can find the Delta radio for like 15 bucks. Just make sure it comes with the code.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Jestnomen .... so a DELTA radio head-end can fit seemlessly into a car that had an original BOSE system???

Old 12-06-2004, 02:12 PM
6th Gear

All A4's in 97 had the same radio. The part that makes it Bose, is the speakers and amp.

Is this your radio?

Old 12-06-2004, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

Yes that's the radio I have. I've looked on Ebay and found a few that are the same but they keep going for over $100. I had a couple questions I don't know if you can answer:
1) Could I put an Audi radio from a newer year Audi (1998+) in my 1997 and have it work properly?
2) Is it possible to install an aftermarket Radio/CD player into my A4 without complications with the amp, wiring, & speakers? I've gotten mixed responses from several sources on that subject and I can't seem to come up with one solid answer.

I appreciate your help

Old 12-06-2004, 07:43 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure why that is priced so high. I've actually never seen one go for that much. On Audiworld.com they have a classifieds section. post a wanted add, lots of people have upgraded there factory stereo and want to get rid of it.

As far as adding a new radio, you can add a concert radio, but you'll have to swap a few wires.

You can add an aftermarket cd changer, but it will require an fm modulator to work. You can't just plug it in. Aftermarket radios can be installed, you'll need an adapter as the Audi radio is wider than a normal DIN radio. You'll also need a wiring harness to wire it up.

Not sure if you know this, but all A4's are prewired for a cd changer. It's underneath your carpet. All you have to do is find a used cd changer on ebay and plug it in. I bought one last year for 180 bucks.

One last thing. Browse Car-part.com, and check out some junk yards that have the radio. The lowest listed price on there is 150 bucks, but some are not listed and will compete for your business. See if you can't talk them down. Just be sure the radio includes the safe code.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

If I'm going for the aftermarket radio, as long as I have the wiring harness there'll be no complications with the other wiring inside the car and/or the amplifier? Because that's what I've been hearing from some people. If I could install an aftermarket radio without any real costly problems, that's the path I'm probably going to take.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Installation Details for your 1997 A4
ยป A wiring harness is not available. You will need to splice into the factory wires.
ยป If you replace your factory Bose radio, you must replace your Bose speakers, too, and install new speaker wires.

^From the Crutchfield website about installing an aftermarket radio in my A4.

Is this true? And would it be possible to find just the wiring harness available online for sale?

Old 12-06-2004, 09:19 PM
6th Gear

no it's not exactly true. there are a few manufactures who make wiring harnesses for the delta radio. I know crutchfield doesn't supply it. You'll have to take the low level lines (RCA) from the new radio and splice them into the factory BOSE amplifier low level lines.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:22 PM

I have a stock '97 radio that ill give to you. all you do is pay shipping. ill look for the code. i think its in my owners manual.

Quick Reply: Blown Bose???