Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown bose speaker? (speaker/soundsystem know-it-alls look here!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:51 PM
3rd Gear
Default blown bose speaker? (speaker/soundsystem know-it-alls look here!!)

ok so lately this has been annoying the hell out of me. I haven't got in there to look at it yet, but I just want your opinions on what this could be. My passenger rear deck speaker (bose package in a 98.5) is making this loud rattling noise every time the bass hits in a song. So I thought maybe the cover was loose, so I held that down while a song was playing...that's when I noticed it was the speaker making the loud rattling not the cover. I've never had a blown speaker before...when it's blown does it not give out any sound at all? Or does it give out distorted sound with loud rattling like mine is? My next step is to get in there and see if maybe a mounting bracket or something is loose. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: blown bose speaker? (hope not!)

Usually they just sound like crap.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: blown bose speaker? (hope not!)

My driver rear speaker is the same way. Can you just pop the cover off to check it out?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: blown bose speaker? (speaker/soundsystem know-it-alls look here!!)

ok so i lifted up that whole part of the rear deck that comes up. it seems when i use my finger to put pressure on the black hemisphere part in the middle of the cone the bass gets clear and crisp again...i can let it go and it stays that way for a few seconds then progresses back to the shitty rattling/buzzingish sound like when you put a piece of paper right infront of a computer subwoofer opening. thoughts?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear

Is the cone torn?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 PM
3rd Gear

i didnt notice any tears, but i'll look again later tonight when it cools off outside

Old 07-11-2006, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

i too have this same problem with my rear passenger Bose speaker(near rear window) that sound you are hearing is a blown speaker. i am curious how i can dissconnect my speaker as i dont have the money now to spend on a Bose speaker
01TQ

Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear

can i just order one from bose? do they still make the one they used in the 98's...hmmm why would it just blow like that? i don't really blast my music that much.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

its the dust cap... theres a write up on aw i believe, there is also a few threads here about it... just superglue the dustcap back on, the glue that holds it on is weak, and will deteriorate over time, causing the buzzing you hear
ORIGINAL: VB05

ok so i lifted up that whole part of the rear deck that comes up. it seems when i use my finger to put pressure on the black hemisphere part in the middle of the cone the bass gets clear and crisp again...i can let it go and it stays that way for a few seconds then progresses back to the shitty rattling/buzzingish sound like when you put a piece of paper right infront of a computer subwoofer opening. thoughts?

Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: fenderstrat1184

its the dust cap... theres a write up on aw i believe, there is also a few threads here about it... just superglue the dustcap back on, the glue that holds it on is weak, and will deteriorate over time, causing the buzzing you hear
ORIGINAL: VB05

o, ok sweet. thanks man, that'll save me some $$$

Quick Reply: blown bose speaker? (speaker/soundsystem know-it-alls look here!!)