Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boosting Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:11 AM
Site Moderator
Default Boosting Question

I read in a hallarious post that the sound of rushing air at WOT could be a boost leak, which has me a little paranoid. Do any chipped B5 owners with k03 have this sort of sound at wot?? It sounds like air rushing through a hollow pipe, which is what litteraly is happening, i realize.. This sort of thing is difficult to explain in words, but do most of you people with a chipped k03 get a rushing air sort of sound when you are 75% wot or more? I have no other reason to beleive i have a boost leak, my boost gauge reads as normal about 18 or so psi and i dont see any obvious cracks in hoses... It just sounds to me like the little k03 is pushing a lot of air through the system and that sound would be normal at anything over 12-15 psi. It does sort of sound like a hissing/rushing air noise though.. Ill make a boost leak test if i have to, but all i really want to know is if other chipped k03's make any kind of noise that i am describing, and if it is normal. thanks.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Boosting Question

if you had a boost leak you wouldnt be boosting at 18psi still.. atleast i wouldnt think so... our little k03 turbos are pushing so hard at WOT on our chipped cars that its really loud.. i know on my car the turbo *whooosh* is 10x as loud as stock..

i think your clear..

Old 04-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: A4 the Quattro

if you had a boost leak you wouldnt be boosting at 18psi still.. atleast i wouldnt think so... our little k03 turbos are pushing so hard at WOT on our chipped cars that its really loud.. i know on my car the turbo *whooosh* is 10x as loud as stock..

i think your clear..
Thats what i was thinking, paranoia! Also.. A vaccuum question... When I turn my car on (cold start) my vaccuum will sometimes read 10, and slowly make it to 20.. Sometimes it makes it all the way to 25. Most times it is right at 20, but what would cause it to not be consistant all the time?

Old 04-04-2006, 05:24 AM
2nd Gear

not sure.. but thats how it was in my MR2 also ..

Old 04-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Zombie Defense Force

idk if your car is like mine but on a cold start teh rpms are higher, when this happens my boost level is higer but still in vac, as the car warms up the rpms drop and so does teh vac level.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 AM
5th Gear

Mine does the exact same thing but that doesnt mean it doesnt have a leak some where cuz i have a feeling I do have a leak
ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: A4 the Quattro

i think your clear..
Thats what i was thinking, paranoia! Also.. A vaccuum question... When I turn my car on (cold start) my vaccuum will sometimes read 10, and slowly make it to 20.. Sometimes it makes it all the way to 25. Most times it is right at 20, but what would cause it to not be consistant all the time?

Old 04-04-2006, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

Mine does the same thing when cold..

Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear

A very cheap and easy way to find a boost leak.....use any type of liquid with a hydrocarbon base(brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc.) and spray it all around the connections of your hoses. You will hear the car rev up a little if you have a boost leak there.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear

onepoint8tee, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It was nice last weekend and I spent like 2 hours just out screwing around with DV springs and taking the car up to WOT and back down. I definately noticed that sound with the windows down, its not super loud though. Have you modified your airbox? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: north5995

onepoint8tee, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It was nice last weekend and I spent like 2 hours just out screwing around with DV springs and taking the car up to WOT and back down. I definately noticed that sound with the windows down, its not super loud though. Have you modified your airbox? Maybe that has something to do with it?
I notice it with the windows up and down.. It it equally noticeable.. Im sure I dont have anything to worry about, but it does sort of sound like i have an intake on my car, even though i dont. It sounds exactly as if i had a big ol cone filter on there, minus the growl they produce... Just the loud sucking/rushing/hollow air sound. I'll see if i can pick the sound up on my camera with a video while driving, but i doubt it will pick it up. I just wish i could sit in the engine bay as someone drives it and look/hear around.. That might be a little unsafe though. Thanks for the help.. No i havent modified the air box. No fault codes either. Maybe i can take an exterior video while im driving since you can hear it from the outside too. That will probably work better.

Quick Reply: Boosting Question