Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light keeps going out??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Default brake light keeps going out??

2004 Audi A4 3.0

The console says 'left brake light' is out, and surely it is.
When I replace the light bulb, it works the first time, and then it goes out again the moment I hit my brakes. I have verified it is the correct bulb. When you look at the original bulb that was out, or the replacement ones, the filament of the light bulb is fine, but the part under it (the stem of the glass mount) is burned out.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
-Bobby
p.s. of course this happens a week after my warranty expires!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: brake light keeps going out??

seems like u got too much power going to it. get a volt meter and check how much current u got running to it. im not sure exactly how much though. u can email auditech79 or techbod for that. the possible problems are u might have a shorted wire sumwhere or the assembly is bad. i wouldn't stick another bulb in there cuz it has a posibility of catchin fire

Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM
4th Gear

Agree, check the voltage. Should be somewhere between 12 and 14 volts.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:40 PM

I called the Audi dealer, they said they have seen this many times when people use off the shelf light bulbs, and when you try an "Audi light bulb", it will work (say what!). I took my car to the dealer, and they were nice enough to give me a light bulb free of charge and we put it in, and it works! I checked the bulb, it is a different brand, but the same type and spec (voltage & wattage) of what I got from Advanced Auto… go figure.