Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 05:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake Problem

Last night I took about a 3 hour trip and very shortly after leaving, I noticed the brakes were making a funny sound. It was only the front rear passenger side. I was worried about what it might was, but it didnt sound all that bad, so I pressed on, because we had to be at our destination at a certain time (by the way, I would have been way earlier but we got lost (that is because I went faster than I had ever gone, I hit 120, and averaged around 85-90)). Any way, we arrived late to the event we had scheduled, but once that was done, I had a look at the affected brake in the parking lot. Scratched/ground to hell. As in very rough looking surface, over the entire area that the caliper touches. It struck me as wierd, that it was only one brake. The other thing is, usually when I brake pad is going, is screeches for quite a while before actually going. So I got up the next morning, before I had to leave, and I called AAA. They gave me the numbers for 6 different places, all closed. Now, granted, I was way out in Bum F*ck Egypt, but you would think something would be open on a saturday. So, I decided to cautiosly drive back to school, and as you can tell made it just fine.

Obviously, I need a new set of rotors, so what are some good options?

Also, if anyone could chime in as to what may or may not have caused this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:23 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Brake Problem

what year is your car? i think some have wear sensors.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:33 AM
3rd Gear

Audis dont have those noisy wear sensors. They start making noise when the backing plate hits the rotors. Front brake pad sensors became standard in like 99 or so. If only one brake pad is worn down and the other one is still fine you may have a stuck caliper piston.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

It is an 01. By sensor, do you mean like a brake warning light??

"If only one brake pad is worn down and the other one is still fine you may have a stuck caliper piston. "

I never thought of that. If it was stuck, wouldnt I have noticed that one of my brakes was always applied?? Also, my thoughts on the fact that it was only one, meant that there was something stuck up under the pad. ANy thoughts?

Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 AM
1st Gear

Also, I have a warranty that I bought with that car in July. IF it is a caliper problem, will the warranty cover it??

I think the company is Quality Gaurd Plus or something like that, I dont have all the info on it, but is it common for those things to be covered?

Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

Audis dont have those noisy wear sensors.
no thats not what im talking about.
audis have an electrical connector that warns you that your brake pads are getting low. like you said on 99s
o i see what you are saying. the rear pads dont come with sensors.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:05 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: west2005

Also, I have a warranty that I bought with that car in July. IF it is a caliper problem, will the warranty cover it??

I think the company is Quality Gaurd Plus or something like that, I dont have all the info on it, but is it common for those things to be covered?
yes there could be something stuck under the pad. but if you have a warranty just take it in. if they say its not covered. remove the rear wheel and caliper. its really easy. if worse comes to worse and you cant figure it out. Pm me and i can help with the removal.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

Are our brakes made of solid gold??? Cuz damn they are expensive.

I took my car to midas today, the problem was just a worn brake pad, the bad one had just worn slightly faster than the res, but they said the others were almost gone too. So I they gave me an estimate for the work they are currently doing:

$613.70 for:

Pads all around
front rotors
and labor

I have a few questions regarding that now:

The guy claimed I should have gotten a brake indicator light, never got it. What could have caused that??

He also said, the brakes that are used for our cars dont have squeelers in them, is that true??

Lastly, I bought this car less than 3 months ago from an infiniti dealership near my house, and have since had to replace the diverter valve, battery, and now this ( and the only thing covered by the 2000 dollar aftermarket warranty I got was the diverter valve, plus im at over 57k miles, so you know wha that means pretty soon.

So my last question is, should I complain to the dealer about them giving me, brakes and a battery that were old and almost done?? Also should I hold them responsible for me having brakes that gave no indication of when they were worn?

Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 PM

ill go it for that much ****....

Rotors/Pads cost me what... $300 dollars. Metal Master Pads and Brembo rotors (non drilled/slotted)

You dont need to replace them all.... if you dont want to

There is NO wear sensor on rear brake pads .. only the front

I installed them all myself ... EASY AS PIE. Just remeber you need a tool to compress the rear brake pistons in. You can rent/borrow one from the auto shop.

Remove the resevoir cap for the brake fluid when doing it. Compress the pistons and remove pads. The rears you have to remove the carriers (or atleast I did)

Before you go driving anywhere.. replace the cap for the brake fluid and pump them a little bit. The fluid will be moved and will have to be put back in place..

Let me know if you need help.

**** if you were local I could help ya out