Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes in Snow=Grinding!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 08:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brakes in Snow=Grinding!

agree with headshok, do it

Old 11-27-2005, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

I agree also. I'm not a pro and probably couldn't stop in a shorter distance without it.

I was just saying it could be done, maybe I came off wrong. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CrazyBignate

Galilee- are you sure that is true on dry pavement? the abs stablizes the car, making it brake "straight", but lets the tires slip in order to do so, when you threshold brake (breaking as hard as possible without using the abs), the abs is not letting the tires loose in order to stabalize the car, which makes you stop in a shorter distance.

this is what i was taught while doing threshold braking at and audi driving school, correct me if i'm wrong
The ABS system on its own isn't designed to make the car go straight. It brakes each wheel individually, and as soon as the wheel locks it sends a pulse into the hydraulic system to relieve brake pressure and make the wheel turn again. There are however stability control systems using the brakes to help you out (to either go straight, or to go around bends depending on your wheel input), but this is not the same as antilock braking.

Looking at the attached image, you'll se a typical static/dynamic friction diagram. Friction is the available grip for the wheel. The applied force is brake force, the static part is actually where the wheel is rolling (so this is somewhat simplified) and the dynamic part is where the wheel is sliding. Youll, see that just before loosing grip, you have the highes brake grip, and brake grip drops when the wheel starts sliding.

The ABS system will keep the brake force around the peak grip you have available. So the question is, if anyones 'threshold braking' can be held closer to the peak traction.

The above is true for all road contidions as long as it's on a firm road surface (dry road, wet road, ice, packed snow).

[IMG]local://upfiles/10324/EDF664D8C30A423786648273C7089FF7.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

ok so today it snowed in ct. and just like bluemagic when i hit my brakes the abs sounded like it was grinding on metal. i was thinking the same thing like if there was something wrong with my brakes. ive driven in other cars with abs b4 but they never sounded like this . yeah they pulsated but this sound was horrible, it felt like i was grinding into the rotors. the harder i pressed the worse it sounded and felt. well if im not the only one experiencing this and if its supposed to work like that then i guess i have nothing to worry about. right? i hope.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 PM
3rd Gear

people you have ABS brakes, thats how they work.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

Yeah it is going to make grinding noises, and feel terrible.
But I can understand your concern... I have driven a few cars... dozens of GM and a few others... and some cars the ABS is like barely noticable... even when it is working overtime.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

Screw ABS!

No joke. I went driving last night in my car and we got a good 3"... my ABS was horrendous. It's like driving an automatic car. (nothing against automatics) there is just no control of the car. I'm thinkin about pulling the fuse on my ABS... has anybody done this? I pulled it on my '98 Impreza RS, and it was incredible (especially in the snow) w/o ABS... HUGE difference.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

just had our first snow up here in New Hampshire and I just wanted to say thanks guys for saving me a trip to the dealership, lol....I too HAVE driven other cars with ABS and been in situations where I needed to use it...I have never heard a sound or felt a rumble like the one that comes with this ABS system. I have an 04 3.0 A4 quattro and that sound is the most un-audi thing I have heard so far, lol. It is nice to know that it IS normal and I AM getting my money's worth with this vehicle.

On a side note, the traction control and AWD is amazing in the snow and I love having my car start to slip and come right back to me in the snow....Thanks for the info guys, I'm enjoying my new Audi more and more everyday....it's good to know there is nothing wrong with it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27119/271CAF14060741169831F9F7BFABB2FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2006, 03:58 AM
4th Gear

ABS my friend....

I remeber 1st time that happened to me I freakd out.

You can disable it if you want to.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:56 AM
1st Gear

well i may be wrong but i do agree with Galilee...ABS does shorten stopping distance. It is true that braking right to the threshold of skidding is most efficient, but this can be done in a car with or without ABS. The only time the ABS kicks in is when the tires are going to slip, and therefore be losing friction from the skidding tires which Galilee had mentioned earlier.

Im pretty sure but correct me if Im wrong