Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break Dust

Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Last Place - just "necause"
Default Break Dust

I am wondering how you all deal with break dust?

I seen there are some break dust covers that you can buy and install but are they worth it? I'm getting tired of cleaning the wheels more then twice a week to get the break dust off. Any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Break Dust

Well i wash my car 2-4 times a week but i guess if ur dont have time to be a clean freak u should replace your
pads with higher metelic compound and less carbon compound(creates break dust). Shop around there tons of stuff out there. O yah, u could also stop braking just downshift LOL. Um those clean wheel things are pretty lame what i have seen around, they detract from the car more the the break dust IMHO
[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 AM

2-4 times a week? Are you waxing every 6 months too? [&:]

There in lies the problem. If you use a harder brake pad you chew up your roters faster. Roters are more expensive then the pads so softer pads is the way to go. Using a break dust covers should help keep the dust off the rims. I don't think they take away from the cars looks, I'm just wondering if they work as advertised?

Down shifting is an option but with the gas prices as high as they are.....

Old 10-03-2005, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

i know that there is a company that came out with dust free brakes. i want to say they are green and has green in the name.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:13 PM
18T
4th Gear

do not install brake covers. they will keep the heat in and its just really a bad thing to have on.

the best way to deal with it is to get performance pads and crossdrilled/slotted rotors. They help the heat and gases escape ..etc.

I am running on mintex pads and i prolly NEED to wash the wheels once every 2-3 weeks. And thats only after the brakes have taken a HARD beating.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 PM
4th Gear

really? that sound to good to be true.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

But don't the cross drilled rotors chew up ur pads???? what brand do u have???

Old 10-04-2005, 10:49 AM

I'll second that thought. sounds too good to be true.

How often are you replacing your pads? I'm sure the cross drilled/slotted rotors take their toll on pads.

Can you point me to a good website?

Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tcsaudia4

i know that there is a company that came out with dust free brakes. i want to say they are green and has green in the name.
They are called EBC Green Stuff, I used these on my Accord and they generated a lot less brake dust.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1745/863605C3A13F43658B9C58C0346B2A08.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2005, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

I ran an experiment where I drove for a week with ESP turned off. The car felt more nimble and lively, and I definitely got considerably less dust buildup on the rears than usual. My conclusion - ESP causes braking to occur when under power, even when the ESP intrusion light does not come on. At my last servicing, the front pads had 12MM remaining, but the rears only had 6. Also, visual inspection of the rotors shows the fronts still looking like new after 15,000 miles, while the rears are very noticeably grooved. I don't know why the Bosch/Audi designers would dial in this rear-biased behavior, but I would have expected better than the small rear pads and calipers given their usage.

This problem seems endemic with the B6's I see around here. If I knew who to complain to (i.e. someone who would actually care and be in a position to do something about it) I would try to get Audi to issue some kind of fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Break Dust