Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Burnouts bad for an automatic?

Old 10-23-2006, 02:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Are Burnouts bad for an automatic?

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

we need more noobs like klint, who know their stuff, to offset all the typical ones lol
I agree, if it weren't for people like klint who knew their stuff, then people who don't (eg. Me) would never learn any of it.

gracias @ klint.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:09 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: euphoriA4

so brake stands are definitely not good, but doing a 2-3 second one every once in a while won't do any damage? If it would wear out my brakes a little faster that'd be different than if it would warp my rotors, cuz that's no laughing matter. anyways, thanks all.
nah i dont think it would warp the rotors. u would have to do one long enough to generate enough heat to warp them. prolly got more of a chance warping them while washin the car (dont spray cold water on hot brakes) a couple short ones every now and again probly aren't gona do much but i still wouldn;t recommend them

Old 10-23-2006, 03:23 AM
1st Gear

no cold water on hot brakes, eh? good to know...

*feels like uber-noob

Old 10-23-2006, 04:04 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: klintman

there is no mechanical connection between the engine and transmission. instead the torque converter hs two plates with kinda like turbine blades. these plates are opposed and have heavy viscus fluid filled in between. the kenetic force of the fluid transfers rotation from one to another.
Another good analogy for an auto transmission I have heard is to imagine putting two fans really close (but not touching). If you turn one on, the other fan will also move slightly. This is partly why autos have more lost hp from the crank to the wheels.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

In an auto, if you're gonna do anything like that...

Best advice is to press the brake and press the gas pedal, just don't do it too much and do it more than 1 time in a course of 30 minutes.

It's not bad, but it can be if you keep playing around with it.
EDIT: This method is usually used for automatic racers. I don't burn out with it though, but I haven't done it in the Audi either.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:40 AM
1st Gear

I'm sorta confused. all I've really gotten is that they're not good. and It's not worth being mean to my audi, so no burnouts for me.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:03 AM
5th Gear

ya jus dont do them often is what i was tryin to get at. if you feel like lighting the tires up every once in a while go for it. jus dont abuse the audi

Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

yeah, sounds good. Does it actually give you a reasonable jump off the line?, or is it just placebo? it's obviously different, but is it a worthwhile difference? (sorry to beat this topic into the ground, just curious on your opinion)

Old 10-23-2006, 05:43 AM
5th Gear

hmmm...it might. i've never driven an automatic audi so i cant really help ya there. i know on manuals you wana get it somewhere between 3-4k when launching but autos i have no clue sry. maybe some of the auto dudes can help you there

Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 PM

i wouldn't do it....probably only get you 1/16 of sec jump ....ain't audi auto tranny cost like kazillion dollars?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Burnouts bad for an automatic?