Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2002 A4 - Have a question about TIP...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Buying a 2002 A4 - Have a question about TIP...

Hey Guys,
I went to look at an A4 Tiptronic that im going to buy.
I would typically get a Manual but this deal is to good to pass up.

Now I have a big concern regarding the transmission.

When its in D (automatic mode) and I gave the car WOT the car will start climbing up the RPMS and it sounds like its not shifting!
Im used to cars that when you put the auto tranny at WOT they climb up the RPMS and shift with a couple hundred RPM fallback between gears but this car sounds like its not shifting at all.

Put it this way

From a dead stop, tranny in D, I floor the pedal to WOT. Car takes off.. RPMS start climbing up to 5k pretty quickly then from 5k to redline the car starts climbing up the RPMS VERYYYY slowly and it sounds like its not shifting at all, it sounds like its just staying in one ridiculously long gear from 0-80 mph i was freaking out because I thought something like this would hurt the engine.

I then took it to the Audi dealer and the salesman said that the car does that because of the CVT transmission? afterwards he proceeded to chew me out for driving an A4 like its a racecar and that any car would malfunction from that type of abuse unless i was driving a "race car" which he then proceeded to point at an RS6 and then I mentioned my C5 Corvette is my daily driver and then he shut his face.

Anyway, is that a problem or are all Tiptronic cars like that? also what other details should i look for? the turbo sounds fine and the car only has 50k miles, theres no signs of smoke or anything like that, this tranny's behavior was just something ive never seen before.

-rick

Old 04-30-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Buying a 2002 A4 - Have a question about TIP...

btw the car runs fine on TipTronic mode, between each shift the car falls back a couple hundred RPMS and shifts gears (you can hear/feel the shift nicely)

Old 04-30-2006, 03:55 AM
1st Gear

This is how the CVT trans operates

The best way to explain it is: It works like a snowmobile transmission no shifting
not sure if that makes any sense to you but thats the best i can do

Old 04-30-2006, 05:22 AM
1st Gear

No no no no no no >.< look harder and find a manual!! When I bought my car the salesmen tried to sell me on a quattro auto with tiptronic instead of my 01 manual fwd 5speed. But i drove them both and u could deffinately feel the difference between tiptronic and manaul. Then again the 01's have a lil more hp but still there wasn't much pick up and go from the auto even when i had it in tiptronic mode.

and that's funny that u shut the salesmen up by telling him that u have a C5. I went car shopping with my buddy and we went and looked at 350z's. well when we told this ******* salesmen that we were lookin at 350z's he thought he was funny and tried to get in the back of one of those sentra's (he was a big guy and couldn't fit) i laughed like it wasn't funny and told him i had 30grand i could spend from mommy and daddy and they were willing to drive down in our Porche to cosign if needed. (i really don't have a porche nor did i have 30grand lol) but he shut up after that and after i test drove the car he decided to make some smart *** comment about he'd like to see my parents porche. I told him since he was such a ***** i wouldn't be buying anything from him and i'll be telling my parents about the service here at performance nissan and u can bet they'll tell their friends and clients. I told him that my parents worked in realestate. which is partially true...my mom does at least lol.

But ya don't buy from Performance Nissan in Washington, their salesmen are jerks

Old 04-30-2006, 05:25 AM
5th Gear

dude go for the manual, and if your near portland you should check out sunset imports I have had only great experiences with them

Old 04-30-2006, 05:49 AM
1st Gear

Not sure what you have planned for the cars future but if you want to go for a BT(Big Turbro) your going to have to get a manual. Chips are fun but they lack their luster after a while. I myself have an Automatic and im pushing it just by having a K04 installed.

So if you want to do any turbo upgrades I wouldnt get the automatic. If your happy with just a chip and your getting as good of a deal as you say you are then go for it.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:04 AM
5th Gear

if you did get an auto and want to do a bigger turbo you can always level 10 the tranny for about 800 and it would be bullet proof

Old 04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
3rd Gear

Only the cvt transmissions are like that. And you wont break it driving it like that. If you want a normal automatic transmission just get an audi that isnt front wheel drive.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

I don't mean to hijack the thread... but i'm buying a quattro 01 a4 1.8 TIP...

Would I be able to chip it (GIAC), exhaust, tip chip, then do K04 upgrades to it???

Or would the tranny not be able to handle it?

Old 04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jaxter

No no no no no no >.< look harder and find a manual!! When I bought my car the salesmen tried to sell me on a quattro auto with tiptronic instead of my 01 manual fwd 5speed. But i drove them both and u could deffinately feel the difference between tiptronic and manaul. Then again the 01's have a lil more hp but still there wasn't much pick up and go from the auto even when i had it in tiptronic mode.

and that's funny that u shut the salesmen up by telling him that u have a C5. I went car shopping with my buddy and we went and looked at 350z's. well when we told this ******* salesmen that we were lookin at 350z's he thought he was funny and tried to get in the back of one of those sentra's (he was a big guy and couldn't fit) i laughed like it wasn't funny and told him i had 30grand i could spend from mommy and daddy and they were willing to drive down in our Porche to cosign if needed. (i really don't have a porche nor did i have 30grand lol) but he shut up after that and after i test drove the car he decided to make some smart *** comment about he'd like to see my parents porche. I told him since he was such a ***** i wouldn't be buying anything from him and i'll be telling my parents about the service here at performance nissan and u can bet they'll tell their friends and clients. I told him that my parents worked in realestate. which is partially true...my mom does at least lol.

But ya don't buy from Performance Nissan in Washington, their salesmen are jerks

Tip is completely different in the Quattro. FWD has the CVT transmission. It's development is for better mpg. I personally enjoy never feeling the jerk between gears as you climb in speed. Furthermore, because of the increased mpg in auto, it's a completely different animal when used in manual. It darts off the line as you control the gears. Needless to say, I am very pleased with its performance.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2002 A4 - Have a question about TIP...