Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM CHAIN TENSIONER TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: CAM CHAIN TENSIONER TESTING

So let me provide you a summary ofwhat I have done and where I am. Finally I would have to say my car is fixed. I just replaced the cam chain tensioner and had it running for over an hour without an issue.

NO NOISE !!!.

This has been a several week process that has finally panned out. To begin. My first noise was from the Fan Mount Bearing. This was a loud rumble at all speeds. I was able to quickly identify this by removing the accessory belt and running the car for about 1-2min. Result was no rumble. This was no easy task but I was able to make a puller using pipe and treaded rod.

Once this was complete the alternator I noticed had a slight grind to it. Given the age this is normal and should fail shortly. Would you know, 1-2months after that statement it did go. I replaced the alternator without any issue. This actually went in without any issues or special tools.

Now that all that noise was cleared up I am not sure if my next noise was there or if it suddenly appeared. This was a bit more tricky. The cam tensioner only made noise when the engine was at full operating temperature and the oil was at temperature. I spent a few weeks researching this since this can be a result of low oil pressure. I put an oil gauge on the motor and had debates on the appropriate oil pressure. Per the dealer and ELSA manual 1 bar min (18-20psi) at idle is fine. 50-60 psi at 3000rpm,

Given 3 folks at Audi also concluded the tensioner was the issue. I made the purchase. $315(ebay) for the tensioner and $25 for the valve cover gasket.Note the cam tension gasket is a separate part number. So don’t forget that metal gasket that is a, use once onlypiece. After following the instructions found on the web, I was done in about 1 hour.

So far all is well.

How this helps others who have an audi the sounds like a diesel once it is hot….

From my autopsy of the cam tensioner there are several possible issues:

The chain guilds are worn
The piston is actually encapsulated in white metal. I appears that the piston unit actually is loose within the encapsulation. allowing the unit the tap.[/ol]

Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: CAM CHAIN TENSIONER TESTING

Excellent, im glad you got all that cleared up, and at a decent price! The dealer would have charged you well over $1,000 for that repair.