Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone get me a radio code? Dealer wants to charge me $$$, what a rip-off

Old 06-16-2005, 08:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Can someone get me a radio code? Dealer wants to charge me $$$, what a rip-off

Can some one please get me a code for my radio. I spend 2 hours a day driving to work and back so I really need my radio. I was working on the car and disconnected the battery, I didn't know that the radio had a code to it, just got my Avant recently. Call the guy that I brought it from and he doesn't have it. Call the dealer and they wanted me to bring the car down in order for them to get the code and they would charge about $100......thats just not right. Every other dealer gives it out FREE. I know honda for sure.

I look every where in the car already under the hood around the fenders, owners manual, where the spare tire is I found a lable, but no radio code.

HELP>>>>>I would fall asleep and crash if I don't have my radio.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:43 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Can someone get me a radio code? Dealer wants to charge me $$$, what a rip-off

check underneath the rear deck, from inside the trunk. get a flashlight and shine it into all the holes in the rear deck. there is sometimes a sticker with a handwritten number, that's your radio code.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Can someone get me a radio code? Dealer wants to charge me $$$, what a rip-off

Yah, I read that you said that before, but mind is a 01 Avant, where should I look. I look all around the where the spare tire is already.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

FANTASIA... call audi 1-800-FOR-AUDI and give them your VIN number and they will be able to tell you who was the selling dealer. The selling dealer 95% of the time has that number on file and theyll give it to you over the phone free of charge.. Thats how i got mines just recently...

Old 06-16-2005, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

I'd report that dealer! and find a reputable dealer.

Usually you're given a warranty card with the code on it when you buy the car. I've misplaced that card (as I dont keep it in the car). A quick phone call to my dealer and problem solved. Of course it helps that the dealership knows you. If not, they might ask you to bring the car in, but not gouge you $100!!!!! Its part of customer service and its free to look up the code. The codes are also stored on their system with your vehicle service records.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:25 AM
5th Gear

qzone, most dealerships will charge you 100 bucks to "retrieve" your radio code. sometimes the selling dealer will give it to you for free, like blazedup said, but any other dealership will not perform this service for free.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

I called 1-800-for-audi they were able to give me a the dealer that my car came from. I call them they said its been over 2 years and they don't have it on file any more. Told me to bring it down to them and they will figure it out.....they are about 200 miles away.....sucks A$$

Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

oh, this is good info, i have an 01 avant as well, no code. but i haven't disconnected the battery or anything yet so my radio still works. so im just looking for a future problem fix.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:42 PM
4th Gear

Before you disconnect the battery, you can buy a small auxillary battery (17 dollars), that you can plug into the lighter socket. It is enough power to keep the radio and other codes when the main battery is pulled. It is cheaper than paying 100 dollars to the Dealer to "recover" the code.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:23 AM
1st Gear

a

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can someone get me a radio code? Dealer wants to charge me $$$, what a rip-off