Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbonio intake or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Carbonio intake or not?

Hey Im new to the Audi forums, and Im also new to Audi. I bought a 1999 a4 quattro with the 1.8t, and I have been thinking of doing some upgrades. The first thing I want is a new intake, but the Carbonio intake is so damn expensive, anyone care to tell me why?

Will a stock a4 sound like the clip on their website (turbo-wise) http://carbonio.com/a4/a4_b5_intake.php?

Why wouldnt I go for something cheaper such as...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01...spagenameZWDVW

Basically what Im getting at is, why is the carbonio one so much better than just a standard $35 cold air intake? I know all cold air intakes can help increase mileage and power, and decrease turbo lag.

Also, is there any other recommended upgrades (for under $400) that I could do to gain significant power? I am considering sending my ECU into APR to get it re-programmed, but Ill have to find a replacement car for a few weeks. I would just rent but Im only 17 years old.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Crabonio intake or not?

forget the carbonio do the box mod at the top of the page. and def. get the chip it takes 4 days.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

wow fast reply, thankyou

Only problem with that box mod (I looked at it and considered it), is that the car technically belongs to my dad because I am 17. If for some reason he decides to take it away from me, and I couldnt replace it he would be pissed.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear

yeah you just put a piece of sheet metal or something over the holes. or buy a spare box. they're cheap on ebay. if he would be mad about that he would probly flip about a carbonio.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

he wouldnt really care much about a carbonio because Im not modifying part of the car, like rilling holes in the wheel well.

So what about just a normal cold air intake? Like an AEM or something (even AEM doesnt make intakes for Audi's)? Do you know any other companies that make intakes for Audi's?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:16 PM
3rd Gear

no good. the turbo is close and its hot so your cold air intake turns into a hot air intake.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Zombie Defense Force

the diy box mod is fine for you car. do the mod when he isnt home and he will never know unless he knows where to look. imo cabrino intake isnt worth the money

Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

I was looking more closely at the DIY box, and I noticed the holes are in the wheel well. I dont know if you noticed, but Im from minnesota, and its not uncommon to have slush on the roadways in the winter. Also, the part of town I live in tends to have some puddles across the road that are normally no more then 4" deep. Im thinking thats not that great of an idea because I feel like the water/slush will get in.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear

if it gets in will it get sucked through the filter all the way down the turbo inlet tube, through the turbo, through the intercooler and up through the intake manifold? i doubt it.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sparky3009

Hey Im new to the Audi forums, and Im also new to Audi. I bought a 1999 a4 quattro with the 1.8t, and I have been thinking of doing some upgrades. The first thing I want is a new intake, but the Carbonio intake is so damn expensive, anyone care to tell me why?

Will a stock a4 sound like the clip on their website (turbo-wise) http://carbonio.com/a4/a4_b5_intake.php?

Why wouldnt I go for something cheaper such as...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01...spagenameZWDVW

Basically what Im getting at is, why is the carbonio one so much better than just a standard $35 cold air intake? I know all cold air intakes can help increase mileage and power, and decrease turbo lag.

Also, is there any other recommended upgrades (for under $400) that I could do to gain significant power? I am considering sending my ECU into APR to get it re-programmed, but Ill have to find a replacement car for a few weeks. I would just rent but Im only 17 years old.

I was wondering myself about power upgrade mods for under $400. How much does it cost SmokeU for that chip you were talking about?

Quick Reply: Carbonio intake or not?