Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Back or Turbo Back Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 02:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Cat Back or Turbo Back Exhaust?

Im looking at getting a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system with custom muffler for my 98 A4 1.8T Quattro and i was originally gonna get a cat back system.... until a few people told me to get a much better sound and better performance... DEFINATELY go for the turbo back exhaust system!!
Is this the better option??
Obviously the cost is higher for a turbo back exhaust system... but i would rather pay a bit more and get a nice sounding and performance enhancing exhaust system then go the cheaper cat back system.
Can anyone help me with some advice?it would be much appreciated.
CHEERS

Old 09-05-2004, 03:24 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Cat Back or Turbo Back Exhaust?

Well your definetly goin to add alot more hp and prolly a better sounds also. There called downpipes, im going to get one from tantumwerks that fits right on to my custom exhaust.Ive heard they add 15 to 25 hp.

What kind are people telling you to get.

Old 09-05-2004, 08:31 PM

3.00" sounds way to big for an a4, it sounds way to big for a mustang gt. try finding a smaller exhaust system(2.5" or 2.25") youll get much better performance

Old 09-05-2004, 11:09 PM
4th Gear

Yeah i have 2.5 for my exhaust but im goin to go with 2.25 for the downpipe.

Old 09-06-2004, 12:26 AM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618

Well your definetly goin to add alot more hp and prolly a better sounds also. There called downpipes, im going to get one from tantumwerks that fits right on to my custom exhaust.Ive heard they add 15 to 25 hp.
You'll be extremly lucky to get hp gains of 15-25. Most people don't even notice much of a change after changing out their exhaust system.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:05 AM
4th Gear

Oh, thats just what imolas4 told me but I didnt know.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:10 AM
2nd Gear

I don't know exactly how much of a gain you'll get from an entire exhaust system replacement, but I think about 10 or so is definitely a reasonable assumption. There are really expensive ways to do both and fairly reasonable ways to do both. The question becomes, do you think the extra money for the high flow cat is worth the extra couple hundred bucks to add it? For me, I polished the factory downpipe, left the factory cat, removed the large muffler in the middle completey and replaced it with a glass pack, and ran a high flow muffler in place of the factory rear muffler. The whole project cost me under a hundred bucks, and I saw a significant jump in performance for that amount of money. I guess I didn't couunt the smashed knuckles and flury of obscenities emminating from the underside of my car that day. But all in all, I felt it was a must do. Sure, it could've been done much more sexy than what I did, but on engine, exhaust and tranny I'm all about function and performance without busting the bank. You could actuslly just leave the facrory downpipe and cat and just run one glass pack in place of the midline muffler and then eithe a high flow muffler on tthe rear with some tips. Glass packs take care of the muffler law, and do more to enrich your overall tone that anything else. I've heard factory cat's with two glass packs in place of the fac muffs and it'd deep when you get into it, but Neaoneaque schoolbus sounding exhaust either. It's up to you, but the money could much better spend on other mods that jmust flat out can't be done that cheap.. Your call. Let us know what you decide. I am interested to hear what you do!

Old 09-07-2004, 06:13 AM
1st Gear

Oh right!
so you guys reckon i shouldnt get a 3 inch system?? are they no good on audi?
so what would be the best size exhaust to put on, to get the most Hp and the best sound?
any help would be great as im deciding very soon...

Old 09-07-2004, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

Getting a 3" system would significantly reduce back-pressure, some of which is needed to produce torque. Instead of an increase, you may instead end up reducing the power your engine produces. A 2.25 system would be much more in line with your set-up....

Old 09-08-2004, 04:27 AM
1st Gear

Even being a turbo charged car? It will loose back pressure?
Forgive me if i ask stupid question i am not yet 100% on audi performance modifications

Quick Reply: Cat Back or Turbo Back Exhaust?