Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter, Please help.....Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Default Catalytic Converter, Please help.....Please!

This might be a simple fix for a lot of you, but I'm having nightmares on it. First, I want to say the the warranty already expire, even the federal mandated warranty.

Where can I buy one that will compatible with my car, I would prefer to buy them online. and what's the pipe size for my car?

I noticed ESCtunning has three of them available for sale, 2.25", 2.5", and 3.0", will this cat work for my car, I did noticed that they said no OXS sensor bungs on these universal convertors, do I need the bungs for the sensor on those cat?

I don't want to pay over 1500 dollars for the dealer to do them, so please help if you can.

Again, please help me to get rid of this nightmares.

Thank you

Old 04-08-2006, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Catalytic Converter, Please help.....Please!

dude, look for a high flow cat man...not hard to do. like 300 bucks.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Slowb5

dude, look for a high flow cat man...not hard to do. like 300 bucks.
I've look all over the place, but I can't seem to find it, or I don't know which one I should buy as there're million of them.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Site Moderator

Well first, what makes you think your cat is dead? Did the dealer tell you this?? Do you have fault codes stored??
I highly doubt a cat on a 4 yr old car is bad.. The only way it would be bad at such a young age is if youve been running on bad 02 sensors for a long time. Cats should have a reasonalbly long life, like 10-15 yrs as long as the engine is maintained right.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

go to your local muffler shop and they canreplace them for you and they will take care of the o2 sensor, if you want to buy them online you need to measure the tubing with some calipers of whatever you have that you can measure but i would go to a muffler shop and let them take care of it, it will proablly cost $300-500 for two.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear

Um save yourself the trouble of getting a cat. Get a testpipe. 200 bucks shipped www.atpturbo.com

Old 04-08-2006, 12:26 AM

First, the code is P0421, and the car already has 98K miles, I already goggle the code, and I noticed many things that can tell me it's the cat.

Second, I've look many place here, and many of the muffler shop decline to do them for me, they said this is a dealer only thing, bullshitz.

Third, one muffler shop is willing to do them for me, but they charged me 600 bucks just for one, NO THANKS.

Another one are willing to do them for me, but I need to bring my own cat, and I don't know where to order or what kind to order, if you know what place online to order, and what type would be fit and best, please let me know.

Fourth, I'm in California, so no test pipe for me.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 707782y

First, the code is P0421.

Second, I've look many place here, and many of the muffler shop decline to do them for me, they said this is a dealer only thing, bullshitz.

Third, one muffler shop is willing to do them for me, but they charged me 600 bucks just for one, NO THANKS.

Another one are willing to do them for me, but I need to bring my own cat, and I don't know where to order or what kind to order, if you know what place online to order, and what type would be fit and best, please let me know.

Fourth, I'm in California, so no test pipe for me.
That code is for your 1st 02 sensor buddy.. Just take a chill pill and calm down thinking you need a new cat! THe 02 sensor is heated, it warms up to a certain temp, usually about 300 before it starts doing its job.. Yours is not warming up so id suggest you just replace the 02 sensor before you go spending any kind of money on a new cat or test pipe
P04521: Warm Up catalyst efficiency below threshold Bank 1.

Again... WHO told you you need a new cat?????

Bank 1 i think is the left side of the engine when you are looking at it from the front of the car.. Its before the 3 way catalytic converter, and you have 3 cc's total.. one on each side (bank) of the engine, and then one in the middle which joins the banks together.... Like a "Y".

Old 04-08-2006, 12:37 AM

Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

What does that mean? Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

CausesA code P0421 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
A sparkplug is fouled up

Possible SolutionsThe simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 1 (the rear sensor, or the sensor after the converter). The voltage should be low and steady (~200mV, depends on the vehicle). If the voltage varies (e.g. 100mV to 600mV) then it's time to replace the catalytic converter. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it.

HELP HELP HELP.............................PLEASE....I can't have a good night of sleep because of this shiz.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well first, it did say that either the cat of the sensor is bad, but I think it mean more toward the cat is bad, I don't know, please help...

Old 04-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 707782y

Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

What does that mean? Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

CausesA code P0421 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
A sparkplug is fouled up

Possible SolutionsThe simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 1 (the rear sensor, or the sensor after the converter). The voltage should be low and steady (~200mV, depends on the vehicle). If the voltage varies (e.g. 100mV to 600mV) then it's time to replace the catalytic converter. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it.

HELP HELP HELP.............................PLEASE....
What is it you need help with now??? You have just answered your own question!!!! From cheapest to most expensive: Check voltage, check spark plugs, replace 02 sensor, replace cat. But i gaurentee that it is a bad 02 sensor. To be extra safe, have the code cleared and make sure it comes back before replacing anything.
I just gave you a good reason to NOT think the cat is bad.. If your not going to listen, and just base your diagnostics on nightrmares and fear of lost sleep, i cant help you

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter, Please help.....Please!