Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caught air tonight on Palos Verdes Drive South, accidentally....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Default Caught air tonight on Palos Verdes Drive South, accidentally....

I had to share that I was racing another A4 tonight on Palos Verdes Drive South Google map in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, and when we reached an area called Portuguese Bend, we both caught air for about 2 seconds, me first, and then the other driver. I certainly wouldn't dream of catching air in my car intentionally, particularly with sport suspension, but the road there, for those of you familiar, is located above a fault line and is constantly shifting and being maintained and repaved. I know the road like the back 'o my hand, but tonight there was a new little "bump" at the top of a familiar dip (about a 10' valley over a 35' distance) in the road that sent us both in flight. When landing, the dip is already going back uphill, so the impact was particularly harsh, but like I said, it felt like my car could have handled the same thing with 3 more passengers. I love my car.

If any of you live in the South Bay area, or even in Orange County, and have never driven in Palos Verdes, especially along the coastline, it's a great drive for a romantic date, and even better for a spirited one!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Caught air tonight on Palos Verdes Drive South, accidentally....

haha u crazy bastard. i caught air once in my old civic and im nvr doing it again in any other car lol. i would suggest u check underneath ur car just in case.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM
3rd Gear

Sooo you won?

I have lived in that area most all my life! Good times

Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM

Yes, I can safely say I won; maybe had an advantage with quattro....or maybe my familiarity of the road, but in any case, I had the lead from the Admiral Risty all the way to Pedro!!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: hiwords

haha u crazy bastard. i caught air once in my old civic and im nvr doing it again in any other car lol. i would suggest u check underneath ur car just in case.
same thing with me but in my honda, twice actually, thank god it had a soft suspension because otherwise id need a new one, but that came at a price, i would often bottom out and see sparks fly.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 AM

nice....going south from redondo into pedro, there used to be a huge drop, I used to fly off it in my explorer, they fixed it about a year and a half ago...

I know the exact bump your talking about, I used to race through there in my miata, but I had to slow wayy down for it or I woulda lost my front end...

it's definately and amazing drive, used to roll through there once a week to see a friend in San Pedro

Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear

2 seconds? come on...

Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM

OK, you're right. I was being conservative. It was more like 5 seconds. That whole time I was hollering, "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

Next I'm going to paint her bright orange with an "01" on the doors and add a roll cage.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 PM

I caught air b4 too much air....ended up cracking my oil pan was a river of oil had to pay 140 dollars for my stupid mistake.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

One of my A4's flights ended up putting a large dent in my inner fender from the tie rod hitting it. Almost went through. When I had my tire off, I didn't see any sort of bumpstop in there. Did I overlook it?

Quick Reply: Caught air tonight on Palos Verdes Drive South, accidentally....