Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL, and car is not responsive- HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
1st Gear
Default CEL, and car is not responsive- HELP PLEASE

well here i am again asking for help- PLEASE_
so the CEL came on the other night - went to the local Auto Zone checked it and cleared it-
came up w/ - P1176 and P1177
first thing I did was sign on and started searching - found a couple of matching codes on here but no explanations or resolutions-
PLEASE, PLEASE- somebody anybody if you know what these are and/or a solution let me know (looking for laymans terms)
- not to mention its my wifes A4 so she's screamin' @ me to find out WTF is goin' on!

Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: CEL, and car is not responsive- HELP PLEASE

Both O2 sensors that are down stream from the CAT are giving either
the highest or lowest reading. These O2 sensors are used to monitor
the efficiency of the CAT and do not effect the fuel injectors.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

okay- man i certainly appreciate that- here's the deal -
the car acted up last thurs no CEL at that time just slugish response, bad acceleration, after my wife "thinks" she put bad fuel in it- to add to that the fuel was 87 octane- we have never run anything but 93 her car- so to counter it i put 3+ gals of 110 octane on top of the 6-7 gals of 87- well after running thru that tank the CEL came on, had it cleared, now she called me on her way to work this morning and its sluggish again and CEL is back, any idea's?-

PLEASE HELP- she's killing me - she loves her baby (the A4- not me) and wants to know what I'm doing to take care of her pride and joy!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:30 PM

I'd check the flex pipe, maybe clean your MAF, and then check the ranges on the O2 sensors. Got Vag?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2834168
http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/th...7&tstart=0

Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

thanx, as far as the vag i've actually tried to caontact a couple of people on the AF list for VAG but never got a reply, (i had heard you could adjust that fly by wire BS- advance it), i have actually checked the exhaust flex (i'm trying to get rid of the resonators- heard a VR6 w/o them and loved it- so i want as close to that sound as possible)- what would you use to clean the MAF-
unfortunatley i think i'm still picking up bad fuel - it took a couple of days to throw the CEL again-

Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 PM

Use the search function to find some help on cleaing the MAF. Enter "maf and clean", you'll get plenty of hits. Sorry no one replied w/the Vag-Com. If there are any GTGs in your area, those are always helpful.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
4th Gear

Are the codes still P1176 and P1177 ?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

my wife has the car @ work as soon as she gets home, gonna take it the "the Zone" and borrow their scanner- I'll rpost-
spoke w/ a friend of mine (works @ a VW stealership-) he went the bad fuel route and the MAF sensor route too- said the slightest little thing pushes these over the edge and they'll run lik **** till the fuel or issue clears, also said it may take a couple of CEL clearings to get past the problem- sound right - anyone-

Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM

All the autozone scanner will do is retrieve your codes and clear them. The vag will allow you to take some readings and see if your O2 sensors are pushing the threshhold of their range, i.e. hitting a floor or ceiling, and tripping the cell.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM
4th Gear

It is unlikely that both oxygen sensors went at the same time. A big vacuum leak will cause both to come up. Check your vacuum hoses and loose connections.

Quick Reply: CEL, and car is not responsive- HELP PLEASE