Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light and engine shakes/stutters

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Check engine light and engine shakes/stutters

Hi I've read on the topics about engines shaking but I want to know what I should expect when I take it to the dealer tomorrow. I just had the car fixed 3 weeks ago due to a coolant leak that went badly and hoses were busted and the check engine light came on then as well as the oil light. I took it to the dealer and they fixed the problem with all the coolant leaks but I'm not sure if any work was done on the engine. Last friday, I started up the car and noticed the engine was shaking badly so I drove it home and left it there since. I don't have much oil left, a little under the marker but I'm due for an oil change anyways but I'm sure that's not the problem. The noise that comes out of the muffler seems like it's not coming out smoothly. Is it because of the engine not working correctly?

I'm thinking of driving it to the dealer in it's current condition (~8 miles, 20-30 minutes), is that a good idea? I don't want to spend money to just tow it there. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Check engine light and engine shakes/stutters

you need to post what year and engine you have.

if it's a 1.8T, it sounds like a coilpack(s) is bad. either that or your ignition control module.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
5th Gear

i would put sum more oil in the car b4 u take it there. just try to play it safe. also does it shake when ur idling? as for the noise that comes out the muffler, u might have an exhaust leak but that's the least of ur problems right now.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Sorry it's a B6 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro. I'm gonna put some more oil when I take it in tomorrow. It's only been 3 weeks. You would think that the dealer would have picked up on this.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:54 PM
5th Gear

trust me, they want to get as much money off of u as possible. if they see a part that is wearing, they might tell u, but if it's a part that will mess up another part, they won't tell u

Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

yeah but if they told me then they would get more money

I still have warranty so I'm kinda glad this happened now. Sorry I didn't answer your question before, it shakes at all times, idle and not.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

Got the call from the dealer today. Seems like it was the ignition coils. My warranty only covers for 1 (the one that was malfunctioning) so that kinda sucks. The guy said that there's a new part for ignition coils that supposedly lasts longer. Should I have them install the other 3 ignition coils for ~$160 or is this a DIY task?

Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Site Moderator

Could you please keep your problem in a single thread? Gets sort of confusing when you are trying to get help about a problem in 2 differnt threads. Coil packs are a DIY kind of thing, for most people.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, I assumed they were 2 different problems.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: huyaroo

Sorry, I assumed they were 2 different problems.
No problem

Quick Reply: Check engine light and engine shakes/stutters