Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light and other #@ck yous

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:33 AM
1st Gear
Default check engine light and other #@ck yous

I've been learning of all the erratic electrical problems my 2002 A4 has tied up inside of it. About a month ago the radio wanted to remain lit and non- functioning. It remained lit when the car was turned off. Also. It remained non functioning until I pulled and reset (not replace) the fuse. arrrgh. It makes me almost more angry that it currently works fine.
Oh. Another - the passenger side front turn signal would waver between working and not for hours at a time. Irritating. It has been functioning steadily now for three months. patience was difficult.
ANYHOW. The problem at hand.
The day before thanksgiving.. I had my rear brakes done- where i also had the mechanic turn off the 60.000 mi service light. That following icy morning I went to begin my gluttonous journey and the car refused. I forget the exact light that came on- but it was the whoa danger light.. the one that slaps you upside the head to signal that you're not getting power to the engine. After a smooth crawl to the next parking spot.. i turned off the engine and removed my fuel cap.. then replaced it. Restarted .. CAR FINE. Excellent. Today i went outside.. again... bitter temperature in Chicago.. and that damn light went on again. I turned off the engine. When restarting.. the check engine light came on, and continued to stay on for the 10 minute drive I took it on. Alas.. also the return trip home.
I have been using premium fuel since I bought the car 6,000 miles ago. I talk sweetly to it..and praise it's luxuriousness. I can't figure this one out. I suppose I'm wondering if this is possibly just another electrical faulty dilemma or not. Is it the fuel air exchange due to the temps?
I can't drive around and wait this one out.
Please help.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:42 AM
18T
4th Gear
Default RE: check engine light and other #@ck yous

thats frikin weird..! where in chicago are you? i used to live in the city, now im in the burbs. was frikin cold last night, went to start the car this morning and my engine sounded like it was going to die for the first few seconds lol..

Old 12-06-2005, 03:43 AM
Site Moderator

Do you think you could rephrase all that into something that makes sense? I just dont get it? Try to reduce the adjetives/funny grammar, and directly pinpoint the problem or question you have. Cool.
Your wondering about a check engine light in cold weather or what?

Old 12-06-2005, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

yes. I am wondering if there is a correlation between the weather (temperature, moisture..ect) and this recent issue- or if it just going to be tallied to the list of crappy electrical problems that seem to resolve themselves.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:14 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: p4nacea

yes. I am wondering if there is a correlation between the weather (temperature, moisture..ect) and this recent issue- or if it just going to be tallied to the list of crappy electrical problems that seem to resolve themselves.
Which electrical problems have you had that resolve themselves? Get your ecu scanned for fault codes if you want a reassuring answer to your question.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

I am about 10k miles from getting a damn subaru, i cant take all these problems this car has had within the time ive bought it. Damn audi's...paying to play. as for your problem, become adjusted to the thing being tempermental. its commonplace.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

So I went to my mechanic the other day...
He plugged in the scanner.
When he unplugged it and started the engine- the light was not on.
The light has not come on again since Tuesday.
I feel like this car is a hypochondriac.
I can only assume it is due to the severe temperature changes or something.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

im in chicago too.. cept my damn airbag light just came on today

Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

same problem in MA this morning. about 15 degrees on the way to work and my check engine light randomly came on. it would be interesting to see what this is all about. p4nacea: is your car a turbo or not? I'm thinking maybe the cold weather is causing the oil to sludge and not circulate how it should. gonna get the code pulled this afternoon.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

yes the audis ahve a crap load of problems, best bet gat a scan tool off ebay, i just urn off my light whenever it comes on, i havent had a problem for a while minus the abs sensor that went out andd i have yet to replace.

Quick Reply: check engine light and other #@ck yous