Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cigarette lighter mounts..

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 AM
1st Gear
Default cigarette lighter mounts..

i don't know if this is a common issue, or if my car is just weird, but my cigarette lighter can't seem to hold anything.. my cellphone charger and radar detector chargers fall right out on even the slightest bump in the road, or sharp turn. i have a pda that i plan on using for gps, and i'd like to get a cigarette lighter mount/charger, but not if its going to fall out. the car's a 96 incase it matters. has anyone had any luck with the cigarette lighter holding a pda/cellphone/ipod/etc mount without any problems? I really don't want to get a windshield mount because I'd rather have the gps lower so its at least somewhat viewable on sunny days, but if it falls out of the cigarette lighter....

Old 01-18-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: cigarette lighter mounts..

I had the same problem ,My solution :
1.buy one of those cheapY shaped cigarette lighter extension.
2. pry open the iron tube from one of the recepticle ends with knife on the back side(carefull dont make marks on plastic covering you need it)
3. cut off the three back pcb holding crimps from the iron tube.
4. see IMPORTANT, put the iron tube from cheap Y adapter into the onboard cigarette lighter(it should slid innicely) and take measurements for plastic covering cut.
5. now cut the plastic covering(from one recepticle of the cheapY cable) on the top of this tube with a mini saw to the exact measure as how much the iron tube sticks outof your current cigarette lighter adapter
6. now super glue(use a good one that comes with the activator, not the one dollar cheap one) the iron tube to theINSIDE of the plastic covering(the end thats gonna be the new front of the modified cigarette lighter)
7. Super glue the back of the plastic covering(with iron tube) you made in the step 5 and also the front of thecurrent (frustating) cigarette lighter
8. Voila it done looks nice and pro

IMPORTANT : This procedure was done successfullyon 1999 B5 cigarette lighter and there WERE 3 iron crimps inside the"already onboard" cigarette lighter to stop the new iron tube to stop it go BACK anymoreand BLOW the fuse (first check if you have those 3 iron stoppers inside the current cigarette lighter recepticle).

Perform above atyour own risk

Old 01-18-2007, 04:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: cigarette lighter mounts..

Because its european cigarette lighter its shallow and ownt work on US probes

after the procedure... it WORKS NICELY. I used The high draw GPS unit also on this modified cigarette lighter but dont try to use the actual old LIGHTER on this one it wont work..

GOOD LUCK