Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clueless .... help anyone

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default clueless .... help anyone

Before I get called out for not searching, I did, maybe I just didn't use the correct terminology. I found a 2001 A4 for sale. I'm really interested in buying, but I want to know if i'm buying a 01' or 01.5' , I don't know how to tell just from the autotrader website. the car is about 800 miles away and I'll have to fly out. here is a link:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=224177460

what do you think? I've talked to the guy a couple times, and he assures me I'll have no problem driving back to GA, and I've managed to talk him to $5k out the door.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: clueless .... help anyone

yep, Ima retard... I searched the vin. it's a 01. but still feel free to comment of whether its worth the purchase.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

Look alright to me...Make sure you drive it first...Good Luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

anything special to look for when test driving? rattles? noises it shouldn't make?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

anyone?

Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
4th Gear

Dang, flying out!

Well, its a dealer, so they aren't going to tell you sh*t. Theres a ton of stuff to watch out for with a 128k on this car, (as any would!)

Watch out for :
Play in the steering, clunking sounds in the suspension, creaking in the suspension
When was the timing belt done? Thats a Major concern.
check ALL electrical devices THOROUGHLY. Make sure everything works!!!!!
Look for any evidence of leaking.
This car will be slow in the lower rpm, takes off once you hit about 3k rpms. thats normal.

Other than that, look at all the basics, fluid levels, evidence of leaks, brake pads, tires, etc.

I dont think Id ever fly out to just look at a car, based on someones description, especially a car dealer. Of course they are going to say its in great shape.
You may do well to hit the regional section of the forums, and find a member in the area where the car is located, and have them give it a preliminary drive, inspection. Then at least it will be worth your while to go and get the car.
It looks ok, but has high miles, and the dealer probably will say they have no service records. Always need to be extra careful buying an audi with no service history available.

The best option would be to ask the shop to drive it to an audi dealer. Then, you call the dealer, give them the CC# number to pay for the inspection, and they tell you what it looks like. That would be way cheaper than flying out, and you'll know the car is worth it.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

It would be worth it to get a carfax report before you fly out there too....especially if the dealer doesn't have service records.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

thanks guys. you really help.