Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

complicated 2.8 engine problems-calling all experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear
Default complicated 2.8 engine problems-calling all experts

Ok where to start......99.5 A4 2.8 with 83k, and the 5 speed tipronic. Started off as a routine timing belt job.I did not order the tool kit and everything went smooth. While the car was down i also replaced my cam tensioner gasket (the half moon seal). Project complete.I started the car, and it started, but a LITTLE oddly. I idled the car for a while before driving it.A quater mile later the CEL came on. Also the car would shutter and was sluggish when just puttering around, especialy at 25 and 45 MPH when it drops into overdrive.I took it to autozone and pulled codes. P3000, P3001, P3002, P3003 and lastly P1338.After some debate i did order the timing belt tool kit to check my timing. Took the car apart AGAIN and the timing bar fit into the cam locks both ways.I also tore back into the valve cover to see if i mest up any timing there. P1338 is the CMP code. i checked the cam position sensor and sure enough it was in pieces. Bought a new one from the dealer and installed it, hoping all my problems would go away.

So here it is 2 weeks later, with the new CMP and still getting the same codes as before. I can completly unplug the CMP and it does not start or drive any different. Its like its not even there. Ive researched this till im blue in the face, so now im calling on anybody that can help. Is my timing still off somehow? Am i overlooking something? Is there something else that would throw a CMP code? Please any thoughts are greatly appreciated. The CEL does flash every once in awhile, espicialy under load, and my MPG are suffering. Also i have cleared the codes and within a few miles the same codes show back up. Im about ready to make somebody a REALLY good deal on this A4. Thanks in advance guys!!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: complicated 2.8 engine problems-calling all experts

cmon, anybody??

Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM
3rd Gear

Is the timing belt tenioner properly torqued and is it giving proper pressure on the timing belt?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear

ya, as far as i know. is there a special way to tension the belt? any other ideas? is there any way to test the CMP? its a brand new factory sensor. i wouldnt think it could be bad, but i put the brand new one in and it still says thats what is wrong. hhmmmm....

Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 AM
5th Gear

i think your timing could be bad i think. the belt is held on by a tensioner, did you replace that too?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

yes, i did replace the tensioner, it came with the kit. im fairly confident my timing is correct. this feels more like a sensor-electrical problem, because the CMP sensor on bank one can be plugged in or unplugged and the car runs-drives the same. even with the brand new sensor the CEL codes are the same as when i had the broken one in there.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM

no proper tools used? ill go for improper timing setup

Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Iknow, thats why after this happenedI ordered the tool kit from blau. and checked everything. It all checked out, set engine at TDC and it all lined up. So there for i figured my timing is correct. Techbod, is there anything else that could cause a false CMP reading?

Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

One more thing. How can i verify that my timing didnt get off when i replaced the cam tensioner seal? I counted 16 links between cams, is there any thing else i should look for? I didnt hear of people worrying to much about locking down the chain or timing when the replaced that seal with the proper tool (3366) which i used.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

I set the engine at TDC and set the cam bar on the cams. The bar fit in there both ways. Is there anyother way to set the timing? did i do it wrong?

Quick Reply: complicated 2.8 engine problems-calling all experts