Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant temp sender vs. sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 12:32 AM
1st Gear
Default coolant temp sender vs. sensor

What is the difference between a "engine coolant temperature sensor" and a "engine coolant temperature sender"?

Thanks

Old 12-13-2004, 12:36 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: coolant temp sender vs. sensor

I've never heard of a temp sender. Where did you hear of it?

Old 12-13-2004, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

I have been trying to replace a engine coolant temperature sensor or sender to fix a starting problem with my 97 A4 2.8. When I went to 3 different parts stores they asked if I needed the blue-4 prong "sender" or the white-2 prong "sensor".

I thought I needed the blue-4 prong "sender" until I found out about the white-2 prong "Sensor". I don't know where the white-2 prong "sensor" is located either.

In other posts on this web site they call the blue-4 prong peice a "sensor", but it is really a "sender" based on the book at the parts store.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:55 AM
6th Gear

Best thing you can do is locate your sensor and remove it and get the part number/color.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

I pulled out the blue-4 prong "sender" earlier today and took it to 3 parts store. All 3 said it was a "sender".

Based on what I learned today, the picture you posted is really an engine coolant temperature "sender" not a "sensor". See this link http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main...anttempsender/

I am just wondering if I am replacing the correct part to fix my starting problem.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2004, 02:16 AM
1st Gear

This is an update to my previous post. Based on the diagram Jestnomen posted on this thread, the part I am looking for is called a multi-function temperature sensor which is on the passenger side of the car. This diagram also shows the coolant temperature sensor on the driver side, which is contrary to what other posts on this web site say. The bottom line is that I think this part has several names.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:19 AM
3rd Gear

a sensor and and sender are about the same thing usualy the difference is that a sender sends info to a gauge where a sensor sends it to the ECU on most cars they do both now

Old 12-22-2004, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

I ran into the same problem. My 98 A4 would not start. I replace the blue temp sensor
this took care of the starting problems and now my temp guage works too.

Good luck

Old 12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

you can usually correct little problems by cleaning the contacts on the plug, they tend to get a bit dirty.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

A temperture sending unit is just that. It is the term mechanics use..as do manuals, for the sensor that sends a direct signal to the instruments in the cars cluster and acts like a thermometer.

A temperature sensor tells tells the cars ECU was the running temp of the engine is and helps to maintain a constant temp ie, by regulating coolant flow etc.

You would only replace the temp. sending unit if (A) your car has one and (b) the in dash temp. gauge never raises.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: coolant temp sender vs. sensor