Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default couple questions

Hey everyone first i would like to say.....Hi, my name is Scott, i live in the chicago area, im 20 years old, and im about to pick up an 01 audi A4 quattro. I have a couple questions about these cars....first, about how reliable are they? I wont be modding or beating on it, but ive liked these cars for a while, and i want a new car! it currently has 66,000 miles, and that kinda makes me not wanna get it considering its turbo, and european, since i know parts are expensive. About how long do they last? When i took it out 2day, the clutch let out real high, is that normal? if not, what is normal? When are scheduled maintenances due? Ie: timing belt, brakes, things like that, or more major things. This car is an AWD turbo, 170hp, it has the cold weather package whatever that is, and is a dark gray color w/ light gray interior, its a 5 speed, and it is extremely clean, there is 1 paint chip that i found, but it was touched up fairly good, it was hard for me to spot and im very **** about my cars. The price is 14,500, does that sound right? Now i know that is under KBB, but what would u guys buy for something like this is what im asking? Sorry for the long post, but im looking to get this car ASAP, if it works out as good as it sounds. Thanks guys!

~Scott

Old 04-07-2005, 05:28 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: couple questions

Yeah the clutch will tend to let out high on Audi's. Audi's will run for a long time, but you may see problems if the previous owners have beaten on it. There's really no way we can answer with certainty. I know someone who is above 250k miles and its still strong.

Timing belt should be done around 70k miles, including the water pump and idle pulley and tensioners. You should search for more info, because I KNOW the information is there.

Cold weather package is heated seats and ski bag.

That doesn't seem like a bad price. Offer 1500 less and see what you get.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

do you think i should ask them to do the timing and that stuff, and then i will pay what they are asking? How much does that usually run?

Old 04-07-2005, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

Timing belt change will cost ~$1000 at the dealer and ~$500 for an independant mechanic. It's a very labor intensive job. I would for sure ask to have it done before you buy it.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 PM

Welcome Scott.

As far as the car goes, i bought mine with 95,000 on it. timing belt had already been done, but like jest said, if it hasn't already been done, get ready to have it done. part cost is kinda in the middle if you buy after market, which compared to dealer prices on some/most things, aftermarket prices are a steal. The moment i bought mine my clutch let out high and i was sure i was going to need one until someone told me that it was normal. I am at 157,000 miles, turbo still pulls very strong, clutch has never slipped, doesn't burn any oil, has never left me stranded. I'll say it has been as reliable as any honda i've owned in the past, with the exception of different consumable components to change (upper control arms, tranny mounts) But i see it as all part of owning the car, and i love it, and i'll keep it until it explodes.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

that is the feedback i want to hear. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2005, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

oh and acvega, everything still works like electronics? things like that.. Has anything failed due to the mileage?

Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM
5th Gear

suspension components are going to need to be replaced eventually (usually 100k+)....control arms, tie rod ends...no major electronics problems....some people have had to remove the steering column surround and clean the contacts on the headlight switch...same thing for the window switch, although that one's not as common....that's about it...

Old 04-07-2005, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

well im going to call them and tell them to do the timing and everything, and then i will pay 14,000 out the door. Hopefully they take it.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:06 PM
5th Gear

hopina4, make sure they do a COMPLETE tb job......2 belts, 1 tensioner, 2 rollers, water pump, thermostat, and snub mount...

Quick Reply: couple questions