Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is crazy..rear mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Default This is crazy..rear mount turbo

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780860

Has anyone heard of these? I'm definately about to get one for my car. A rear mount turbo, seems easy to install and will get lots of boost and HP

STSturbo.com

Old 04-30-2007, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: This is crazy..rear mount turbo

Thats nuts i would love to turbop my 3.0, but i dont see anyway i can do it, gotta be $$ and i would rather buy a house

Old 04-30-2007, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Seems to me that the turbo would not only be susceptible to damage (bottoming out), but also dirt contamination (intaking air from beneath the car instead of from the engine cabin/front of car.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

it must be some kind of joke, and it does look ugly [:'(]… i cant even imagine how much extra time you would need to build pressure in 8 or 9 feet pipe []… and exhaust … feel some boost in 10 min. after you accelerate???... and y not install it right after OC sensor???

PS: good thing is you don’t have to cool it

Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SacTown_Vlad

it must be some kind of joke, and it does look ugly [:'(]… i cant even imagine how much extra time you would need to build pressure in 8 or 9 feet pipe []… and exhaust … feel some boost in 10 min. after you accelerate???... and y not install it right after OC sensor???

PS: good thing is you don’t have to cool it
exactly what he said. ugly, and dumb. put a turbo where its supposed to go. not next to the muffler.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear

It's about the WORST place for a turbo. They work off of pressure & temp. That far downstream, you don't get much of either. It's going to lag like a B-iouch, take for ever to spool. Then don't even get me started on fixing boost leaks. The good side with all the piping, you don't need a IC.

You want the turbo, as close to the exhaust valves as possible, ie, off the exhaust mani, where you have the highest pressure & temp.

If you are hell bent on doing it, run a super small turbo, & don't run more then 5psi from it.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

not a joke guys...

Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

the owner of that is on this forum:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_474376/tm.htm

also read this you might get a kick outta it:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_515288/tm.htm

Old 04-30-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

the thing that sucks about this setup is he looses about 2 inches of ground clearance in the back. and apparently from reading from teh website he isn't running boost too high, but is getting some good results from it. there aren't that many couplers so the boost leaks seem to be at a minimal. and the fact that he doesnt need a IC is kinda cool. turbo lag doesn't seem to be too much of a problem in theory because he doesn't have to run extra piping for the IC. so its basically like the ic is in line with the return pipe. the only problems i could think of would be back pressure and exhaust heat loose for it having to travel so far back before spinning the turbo. i think its pretty cool that someone went ahead and actually did this, considering there arent any real performance mods for the 12v. props to him. also if i stated anything wrong or i got an idea completely wrong please correct me on it. everything i wrote is coming from the little i know about turbos and how they work and what ive read on these forums.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear

theres a tuner company that did a dual remote turbo setup on the new m5... if you search af you'll find the link

Quick Reply: This is crazy..rear mount turbo