AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Cut Spring to Lowering Springs on a B5 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/cut-spring-lowering-springs-b5-87131/)

diesela4 01-08-2008 08:27 AM

Cut Spring to Lowering Springs on a B5

Hey folks, i just picked up a B5 which is lowered and all but the front wheels are rubbing on the arches when i turn.

The cause of this problem is the stock springs have been CUT [:@] to lower the car. I however am looking to pull these out and replace with a decent set of lowering springs from JOM or FK. The thing i need to know is what size of spring to get, i.e the lowering size but i am not sure which set to get to lower the car to the same hiehgt only a little higher to stop the rubbing.

Here is a pic at how she stands at the min. Can anyone let me know what size of lowering spring would be best suited for the job.

Cheers Folks

[IMG]local://upfiles/47542/54E668B58D7C4EA7B59F2E3E28F85F1F.jpg[/IMG]

rsrbljan 01-08-2008 08:57 AM

RE: Cut Spring to Lowering Springs on a B5

Too bad they're cut and rubbing... I think the car looks great. LOL. I went with the H&R sport springs on bilsteins. I wanted to keep a great ride, so the bilsteins were a must for me. Are your shocks stock? you might check the condition of them if they are, because slammed like that they're going to be prone to bottoming out.

I'm not familiar with JOM or FK

If you're on stock shocks I wouldn't go with a more aggressive spring than H&R sport. You can go with the Eibach Pro or the H&R race spring, but on a stock shock I'd think the ride might get a little harsh.

my $.02
-Ryan

klum00 01-08-2008 09:00 AM

+1 on the H & R's, but please take that horrid tint strip off your windshield.

diesela4 01-08-2008 09:24 AM

sunstrip was remove last night lol i cant see out the fecking window with it on lol

She does indeed have the stock shocks. I was going to go for a full coilover set but just cant afford it for a few months so lowering springs will have to do untill i get the funds.

Ryan - what would be your best guess on the size of lowering springs to get?

McGovs2.7TB5 01-08-2008 09:28 AM

Just hit up H&Rs web page, they have model specific springs for your car. I think they run like $230.

oneg 01-08-2008 09:29 AM

h&r

rsrbljan 01-08-2008 09:56 AM

http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...&q=1997%20

I'm not sure if you're quattro or not, but it does make a differance. That link is the the page with b5 a4 quattro spring pricing.

diesela4 01-08-2008 10:25 AM

sorry folks, i should of wored my question better.

If you look at the image, how much in "mm" do you think she is currently lowered?

Also shes pulling to the left while driving a little so i have to keep correcting the steering. Hope nothing major though

Cheers all for your help guys

Lazer Viking 01-08-2008 12:53 PM

are the wheels 18 or 19 ?
you are tucking pretty good in the front, so i would say you are on the + side of 2" drop (dont feel like converting to metric)

if the ride is fine, and cut springs dont piss you off too much, i would suggest a smaller tire size, or rolling the fenders.

rsrbljan 01-08-2008 01:38 PM

If those are 18" wheels, you're at 2" I'd guess. I have about 1.5" in the rear and 1.75" in the front, and I'm not tucked over the tire but I'm only about a 1/4" above it... if that helps at all.

You could find out for sure if someone on a stock suspension would measure from the center of their wheel hub to the botttom of the fender lip. If I was stock I'd help you out but I'm not going to be of much use there.

I would get RID of the cut springs. If it was cut with a torch, or heated at all, the springs become brittle & dangerous. If they were saw cut, then the spring rate will be altered and you'll start going through shocks, and possibly suspension bushings from over-extension and over-travel of the control arms and swar bar end links.

Ryan