Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut Spring to Lowering Springs on a B5

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Cut Spring to Lowering Springs on a B5

Hey folks, i just picked up a B5 which is lowered and all but the front wheels are rubbing on the arches when i turn.

The cause of this problem is the stock springs have been CUT [:@] to lower the car. I however am looking to pull these out and replace with a decent set of lowering springs from JOM or FK. The thing i need to know is what size of spring to get, i.e the lowering size but i am not sure which set to get to lower the car to the same hiehgt only a little higher to stop the rubbing.

Here is a pic at how she stands at the min. Can anyone let me know what size of lowering spring would be best suited for the job.

Cheers Folks

[IMG]local://upfiles/47542/54E668B58D7C4EA7B59F2E3E28F85F1F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Cut Spring to Lowering Springs on a B5

Too bad they're cut and rubbing... I think the car looks great. LOL. I went with the H&R sport springs on bilsteins. I wanted to keep a great ride, so the bilsteins were a must for me. Are your shocks stock? you might check the condition of them if they are, because slammed like that they're going to be prone to bottoming out.

I'm not familiar with JOM or FK

If you're on stock shocks I wouldn't go with a more aggressive spring than H&R sport. You can go with the Eibach Pro or the H&R race spring, but on a stock shock I'd think the ride might get a little harsh.

my $.02
-Ryan

Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 AM

+1 on the H & R's, but please take that horrid tint strip off your windshield.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

sunstrip was remove last night lol i cant see out the fecking window with it on lol

She does indeed have the stock shocks. I was going to go for a full coilover set but just cant afford it for a few months so lowering springs will have to do untill i get the funds.

Ryan - what would be your best guess on the size of lowering springs to get?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 AM
3rd Gear

Just hit up H&Rs web page, they have model specific springs for your car. I think they run like $230.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

h&r

Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...&q=1997%20

I'm not sure if you're quattro or not, but it does make a differance. That link is the the page with b5 a4 quattro spring pricing.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

sorry folks, i should of wored my question better.

If you look at the image, how much in "mm" do you think she is currently lowered?

Also shes pulling to the left while driving a little so i have to keep correcting the steering. Hope nothing major though

Cheers all for your help guys

Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM
4th Gear

are the wheels 18 or 19 ?
you are tucking pretty good in the front, so i would say you are on the + side of 2" drop (dont feel like converting to metric)

if the ride is fine, and cut springs dont **** you off too much, i would suggest a smaller tire size, or rolling the fenders.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

If those are 18" wheels, you're at 2" I'd guess. I have about 1.5" in the rear and 1.75" in the front, and I'm not tucked over the tire but I'm only about a 1/4" above it... if that helps at all.

You could find out for sure if someone on a stock suspension would measure from the center of their wheel hub to the botttom of the fender lip. If I was stock I'd help you out but I'm not going to be of much use there.

I would get RID of the cut springs. If it was cut with a torch, or heated at all, the springs become brittle & dangerous. If they were saw cut, then the spring rate will be altered and you'll start going through shocks, and possibly suspension bushings from over-extension and over-travel of the control arms and swar bar end links.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Cut Spring to Lowering Springs on a B5