Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dahlbach Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Dahlbach Chip?

Was going to make an appointment today to chip my three week old Hibiscus Red A4 1.8TQM. Using the popular opinion of going with the closest tuner (Concord, NH) I figured I would be getting an APR chip. Come to find out the company has just switched to a Dalhbach chip, naturally they switched because they are a Dalhbach Racing Tuner and they claim it is better. I'm sure marketing has alot to do with it. Does anyone have any information on this chip? Is it new? Had my heart set on the APR chip. Now, I may have to go to Fitchburg, MA and get a GIAC. Not a bad thing, but I need advice. Do I go with conventional wisdom and get the X-chip now or be bold and see what the Dahlbach chip is all about.

One post in Audi World Forums has TT guys talking about it and they seem very impressed. Smoother and 25 PSI over jerkier and 21 PSI of the GIAC chip, were some their comments (Jul '04 post). Just not alot of data out there. Thanks for any inputs in advance.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Dahlbach Chip?

I haven't heard of it. I can tell you that the APR ad GIAC chips are so well accepted because they are proven and very well supported. Can you find any data from a third party? I am inclined to think if people have been using it and are satisfied with it, it's a good sign. How much is it?

Old 08-31-2004, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Doose for the follow up reply. I know I need to do further research on this. Especially from a third party. I figure if you haven't heard of it, its probably new. I believe they quoted me $400, possbly an introductory offer. I'll do more work but I have gotten anxious to be chipped. It could be an awesome chip but with no history, who knows? However, stock power isn't too bad at all while I'm becoming aquainted with this car. Thanks again Doose, I value your extensive knowledge about this fine car and will update this forum on my decision.

Old 08-31-2004, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear

Well, I don't know about the extensive knowledge part. grin Most of what I've learned has been by experience with my own car. I have a 2000 A4 1.8tq. Definitely interested in what you decide to do. For the benefit of others here would you post links to any info you find on the chip? We could all use more scoop on performance options for Audi.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:05 AM

Dahlbach makes awsome performance parts for the A4! They are brand new to the United States, but thier resume looks pretty impressive. I would definitly go with dahlbach.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys a little more info. on this chip. I read a little more info. on this chip in Audi World it all looks positive from the few people who have had other chips (some TTs and S4s). Apparently, it is similar to the MTM (Audi's aftermarket tuner) chip but has improved software and it looks like it is a New England/New Jersey tuner install for the time being. I emailed my closest tuner yesterday and this is the response I got this evening.

Hi James great questions, This is Tim Mclean owner of Northern European Automotive,Also owner of tjmmotorsport Dahlback USA,We have found that the Dahlback racing chips are superior to others,We have had no problems with these chips the chips are upgradeabe for the future modifications,upgrades are for free,chip price is 799 with all free upgrades,499 w/o free upgrades,We also guarentee chip for lifetime,If you are unhappy with chip 30 day money back guarentee,We will put back to stock,free of charge,We have the diverter valves in stock,You can ck Dahlback racing out on line at www.audituning.com

Thanks
Tim Mclean
603 229 0494

In keeping with the principle of getting the chip with the closest tuner, I just may make an appointment tomorrow to have it installed and check it out. You guys (ppl on this forum) have been more than helpful to me as a noob in making informed decisions. I'll keep this forum informed on the results (good or bad) because I want to return the favor anyway I can.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:49 PM
2nd Gear

Hey David, which chip do you have? And how's the rebuild going? Did you get that used head yet?

Old 09-04-2004, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

$800 is pretty high.
Furthermore, what's the proof that
...the Dahlback racing chips are superior to others
???

BTW: Upgrades should always be free or at least no more than $20. And all reputable chips are fully guaranteed/warranted, too.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 PM

Ok, the more money you spend with dahlback racing the better your car will be. Dahlback has made 550hp 1.8T a4 that run as good as new.(no overheating, no warping of heads, and other problems often associated with highly modified cars. 800 bones is a steal. jump on it.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Hey David_K sorry to hear about your car, hope things are progressing in whatever you decide. I have an appointment this Wednesday to install the chip. The owner Tim says he has "chipped" approximately 100 cars in the area with the new Dahlback chip and said "he hasn't seen some of the nuisance returns as he did with the APR chip" his words--not mine. Also, the price is initially $499 and you have a year to decide if you want the $300 free upgrade package. Not a bad deal IMHO for a noob-modder not knowing yet how far I want to go through the stages (265 HP max for my car). May still be expensive for upgrades but hopefully worth it for all the fun I'm already having with this car (stock). Thanks for the encouragement you guys have taught me alot and I can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Quick Reply: Dahlbach Chip?