Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Daytime Running Lights

Can Daytime Running lights be activated on a US 2006 A4 with or without the Technology Pkg? I stopped at a dealer & told that this feature is only available on an A4 equipped with the Technology Pkg(Bi-Xenons).

Old 01-06-2006, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Daytime Running Lights

I don't know why you would want a day time lights..
It is just a waste of power. it has affect on the fuel comsumption too.
besides.. things don't break if you don't use them or touch them.. so.. ideally, your lights would last longer if you dont use DTRL.
it will be also easier on the alternator and the battery.
I like the old manual control... turn it on when i want and off when i don't.
I would personally find a way to disable it if my car has lights running all the time.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

Safety reasons. Discount on insurance. For the past years, I've driven a car with DRL's.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

Can someone please explain how running your headlights affects your gas mileage? It's just not clicking.

And they really don't draw that much power, xenons only require about 35 watts (could be more, not sure on the specifics of our cars but not more than 110 watts which is only needed to warm it up or if they're failing.)

Personally I'd rather people use daytime running lights for safety reasons. What bothers me is when people don't turn on their headlights when they should. If you see everyone else on the road with their lights on take a hint. Just because its not night time doesn't mean they're not needed. There are plenty of times in overcast conditions when it will be hard to see cars behind you and such with no lights on. Ever wonder why motorcycles and I believe semis have to have daytime running lights?

Old 01-07-2006, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

well... I said DRL affects fuel consumption. I, however, didn't say how much while I should have.
It is not very much to be noticable by most drivers.

as for the power comsumption...
say all the lights use about 120 watts (for simplicity sake, 35x2 for front, 15x2 for back and 20 for adjustments)
cars use 12 volts so it is 10 amps of current just for the lights. so the alternator and the battery has to provide extra 10 A compared to when the lights are off.
It will cause more stress on these components no matter how little. There is also a reserach that shows cars/SUVs with DRL need to have the battery changed earlier than those without.
(Unfortunately, I can't find the source so if you can find any credible source that prove otherwise, I will gladly correct my statement.)

Also.. ask any mechanic. the engine ilde speed change depending of what accessories you have on.
if you turn on the fan, rpm increases.
if you turn on the light, rpm increases.
they dont really increase much (as far as I know it can be as little as 50 to 100 rpm for lights)

In anycase, increase in rpm means more fuel consumption (but not much).

I can understand about the safety issue. but my opinion is.. cars don't need it. motorcycles on the other hand are different story. They are indeed smaller and harder to see so
anything to help, right? I am not sure but I dont think semis are required to have light running. correct me if i am wrong but please give me more than they are required.

yeah.. i have seen ppl not turning on the lights when they should too. the worst of them is the silver car running without lights in the fog.

the cheapest way to get DRL is to wire up the lights from the same wire as the lighter. It may not be the best thing but It will do the trick. Just don't wire it to every light on the car.
You will still want to have the high beams turned off.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:09 PM
3rd Gear

this debate reminds me of this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9&q=top%20gear

Old 01-07-2006, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

That was an educational video.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

nice video man... i wonder how the engine was running...

Old 01-08-2006, 12:51 AM
dan
2nd Gear

on the B6's you can change your cars country setting to Canada to have your fogs on as DRL, not sure about the B7's though.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Dan. Iwent to an Audi dealership today to inquire about an A4 2.0 Q. I was told by the salesperson that the DRL's can be activated as long as you have the Technology Pkg. I have to decide if i want the Black or Dolphin Grey.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights