Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Aux input?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
1st Gear
Default DIY Aux input?

Has anyone attempted a DIY auxiliary input mod for their head unit? I've got a 1998.5 B5 and I'm wondering if I could wire in a minijack so I could plug in my laptop, mp3 plaer, etc. (rather than using a tape adapter).

Does this sound feasable? I know the stock head unit doesn't have an aux input (that I know of) other than the one for the CD changer, and I wouldn't mind hijacking that. I want to hear from anyone that has tried this or knows anything about it before I start ripping out my stereo.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: DIY Aux input?

i dont know how you would go about that, might be esier to just get an aftermarket HU

Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM
5th Gear

ummm thinkin its not gunna happen man

Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, thats what I've been thinking - I figured I may as well check it out just in case. Although . . . I'll bet I actually could use the cd changer connection to do it, but I have no idea which wires to splice.

Not going to waste too much thought on it though, I'm planning to get a car PC thing going eventually, so this would have just been a temporary fix anyway.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

thought about doing up a PC in the trunk myself but really don't seen the benefit to all that work when i can just use my laptop, tape adapter if i want MP3s but i normally just use the CD player just because of the deeper base from the uncompressed (or less anyway) audio. i really want the laptop in there for vag-com (going to order the software and cable next month i think) it's rare that anyone else is in the car with me so this is just perfect http://www.airdesks.com/CarDesk.asp

Old 12-12-2006, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

what brand is ur hybrid D-BOV
and how good are they?

Old 12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

<----------Phil872001s other account.

go-fast-bits, i believe was the brand, all of the D-BOV's are the same mfg, got this one from LLtek. anyway, not worth it, even at 10% blowoff running the mods i am i still get a check engine light, don't remember the exact vag-com error but something with boost pressure being off. it's an awesome idea in theory but the electronics in the Audi are too sensitive to be releasing air from your system. Aside from just throwing a light i am sure there must be some performance loss since the engine simply wasn't designed that way. just get a nice forge 007 and save the money. BTW, funny sig, i have some video of a little yellow bird stuck in my grill, i should post some of it once i get it transfered to my computer.

Back on topic, you can also get a FM transmitter, but they typicaly aren't very clean sounding, not to a discerning ear anyway.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM
4th Gear

Would any of these work for what you want to do?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2UQaZAm...5TIIi*5TnnISDi

Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

http://classifieds.audiworld.com/

I found this..

Ad Information

Category: Audio Equipment

Ad Number: 30257

Date Posted: 12/10/2006

Price: $40

Text of Ad

P/N: AUDI/AUX DMX V.1B

Plugs into Audi or VW decks via CD changer port.

Dual RCA inputs provided to plug in any external source. I used to input my Sirius Satellite radio and it worked flawlessly.

email if you have questions.

$40 shipped to Lower 48
Seller Information

Name: Thomas Tracy

Street Address:

City: Cranston

State/Province: Rhode Island

Zip/Postal Code: 02905

Telephone Number:

E-Mail Address: thomas.tracy@gmail.com

Old 12-12-2006, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear