Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side headlight failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Driver side headlight failure

I have searched on many boards and found posts of this same problem, but the thread always ends with no one posting the solution.

My driver side headlight is not working. The passenger side works fine (I doubt this a headlight stalk problem)

I have replaced the bulb and checked the fuse. My voltmeter battery is dead so I can't tell if power is getting to the headlight.

Can someone point me in the right direction? What else could be causing the problem?

Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Driver side headlight failure

You still might not see an answer to this one :-(

There was one time that I saw this answered. I do not exactly remember the solution, but I think it was to check if the headlight was getting power and it might be in the switch.

Personally, I hate chasing electrical problems and leave that to the dealer.

Something I would try though is turn on the headlights first. Then turn the car to the on position (not starting it or attempting to.) If it comes on somewhere in the transition anywhere, it could be the ignition switch. Also try slowly moving the headlight switch up and down and if it comes on anywhere in the cycle, the headlight switch is bad. Do it at night/ in dark so you can see it.

Other than that you got me.

No brights?

Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

Brights work fine... Everything except the driver side low beam.

Come on guys! I seen this exact problem posted tons of times. what was the solution?

Old 02-18-2006, 06:47 PM
2nd Gear

I had the same problem for months... I researched everything, and I found nothing. Eventually I just put it in GSM (German Speed Merchants) and they only charged me $130 to fix it. Turned out, some moron tried to put a Toyota bulb in the housing, and broke everything trying to do so... The bulb worked actually. But eventually it somehow messed up the wiring, and the headlight wasn't grounding out anymore. If I hit the back of the headlight with a blunt object, the headlight would come back on for a few seconds/minutes/hours and cut back off. So they had to epoxy everything back together, put a new bulb in, and wire up a new connector clip... And she works great now.

I'd honestly recommend taking it to a local German shop... NOT A STEALERSHIP! They quoted me over $650+ and they didn't even relize that my car doesn't have HID, they have Bi-Xenon which DON'T EVEN HAVE BALLAST MOTORS... I hate stealerships.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Well I should feel embarassed to post, but I hate when people post problems and then don't post the solution for everyone else in the future.

It was my fault! This whole time i was changing the high beam bulb and not the low beam! And to think I did not notice my mistake until I started using my voltmeter haha!

Problem solved.