Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine idles rough???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default engine idles rough???

Hey Audi's,

I'm bringing my Audi to the Dealers about a problem that I'm having, When I start my car up in the morning, my engine idles rough, sounds like it will die off.

Any tips you can give me or what to tell the dealer?

Old 05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: engine idles rough???

Don't know. What year, what model, what engine, what mods?

When did you last change your spark plugs? Could be a coil pack or ignition module. Could be fouled or broken plug. Could be vacuum leak.

Why are you taking your car to the dealer, unless you are under warranty.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Thnx david9999,

2001 A4 1.8T 49K(under warranty still) only mod=K&N filter. Never change anything in engine since I bought it 3 months ago. Using 97 oct

Audi dealer service called back and this is what he said,

Reason: Cold start intermittent/rough idle in morning is because the weather is cold (i'm from Oregon right now it is about 45-50 deg. in morning.

They said this is a problem across the board not only AUDI's but BMW's, MERCEDES. He suggests me to use 87 oct gas during cold weather then switch to 97 oct in the summer. 87 oct burning faseter during cold winter than 97 oct?

Don't know if he is pulling my leg because I have about 1K left under warranty. They might pull a "Stealership Action"

What do you guys THINK?

Agian thanx for you help

Old 05-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Site Moderator

wtf? I never heard anything like that before.

Rough idle because the temperature is only "warm"? Thats a load of crap. 45-50 degress is nothing, and is not considered "cold weather".
Call back and tell them this is unacceptable to you and you want the car to run like it should. No car has bad idle and intermittent starting because of temperatures unless its WAY below freezing.

Don't let them pull that stuff on you, man. If they refuse again, mention that you will be calling Audi of America to start a case with them, because they are obviously pulling stall tactics until you are out of warranty - and they have given you no valid reason for not fixing your car...

Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

Take it in. You were just fed a bunch of BS. The car should start fine in cold weather. Mine starts and runs great at 20 below.

You should not be running 87 octane ever. The car needs 91octane, use it. Not sure what you mean by 97octane. it is generally not available

Take it in and have them fix what is wrong.

Could be something as simple as the temperature sending unit which is a cheap fix.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

BS , the stealership is full of it. 87 octane will not give you any boost , so the engine might run smoother. Have the dealer check that the 40 K service was done, spark plugs and air filter changed and ignition coil recall taken care of. These are free.

Old 05-18-2005, 03:42 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: silver_rings

Thnx david9999,

2001 A4 1.8T 49K(under warranty still) only mod=K&N filter. Never change anything in engine since I bought it 3 months ago. Using 97 oct

Audi dealer service called back and this is what he said,

Reason: Cold start intermittent/rough idle in morning is because the weather is cold (i'm from Oregon right now it is about 45-50 deg. in morning.

They said this is a problem across the board not only AUDI's but BMW's, MERCEDES. He suggests me to use 87 oct gas during cold weather then switch to 97 oct in the summer. 87 oct burning faseter during cold winter than 97 oct?

Don't know if he is pulling my leg because I have about 1K left under warranty. They might pull a "Stealership Action"

What do you guys THINK?

Agian thanx for you help

Whoa, this is very strange. I live in Oregon, and have a 2001 A4 1.8T also. I also have an issue with rough idle in the morning. Spooky.

My problem is very minor, though. It starts up, about 3 seconds later, the revs drop for a few seconds like it's going to die, then it goes back to normal and is fine.

I agree, the dealership's explanation sounds like BS. This only recently started happening (post-warranty), and it's not as cold now as it was a few months ago. Find out what the issue is, then tell the board, so I know what the problem is. Mine's out of warranty, I have somewhere around 55k miles.

Oh, make sure you get them to check your brakes before you go out of warranty. I am not kidding, the front brakes needed changing something like 1000 miles after the warranty expired. And that included the rotors.

Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Hey bio341,

looks like i'm not alone,

I will still bring my car to the dealers, I just emailed Audi America about this issue and there still working on it, I should get a call back soon. will update you all when I get more info.

Actually I brought my Audi in at 48K for the cold start issue and BRAKES, they just changed the back 2 brakes. But will bring this up when i bring it in again.

again thanks!

One more thing Bio341, what gas are you using? assuming premium?

Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Yep, I've always used premium in it. Not all cars benefit from higher octane gas, but all the turbos I'm aware of do. You will notice a difference in peppiness.

Also, now that I'm past the warranty, it may be time to chip it. Though it's technically my wife's car, so I have to clear it with her first.

Yeah, please let me know what you find out.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

Following up on cold start and engine idles rough from Audi of america.

They told me that what the dealer(service) told me is unexepctable and they should look at my Audi no matter what. Audi America will call the Service manager and address issue.

Will keep posted. so far so good....

Quick Reply: engine idles rough???