Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/Intake cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Engine/Intake cooling

Cool. I'd like to see some pics as you go on that if you get a chance. Ok, get a load of this. I noticed that the engine was and oil was running cooler since I did this, but I had to hook the computer and see for sure. Here are the figures.

Outside temp was 85 degrees and I used the same stretch of road for both runs here, at 90mph for 10 miles.

With the vent opened and the cover that goes over the battery and the rubber seal that goes in front of it off.

Coolant temp 178 degrees
Intake air temp 109 cruising and 135 at full throttle
Oil temp 175

With the vent blocked off with tape, the cover back over the battery area and the seal on the front of it.

Coolant temp 189
Intake temp 136 cruising and 157 at full throttle
Oil temp 185

This was an incredibly simple modification and completely free. It took my 20 minutes to cut the intake vent out and 30 seconds to remove the cover and seal over the battery area. I thought it might cool the engine down a bit, but certainly did not expect to see the numbers that I did. If anyone is interested in this little mod, when you cut out that intake vent, be aware that there is a hose and the hood release cable running behind the area you are cutting out. Also be aware that you need to account for the fan guard when you cut this vent out. It will require that your cut leaves the top portion of the fan guard in place. It's the top of the circle for the fan guard and it is at the bottom of the vent you cut out. I'll post a pic of the finished deal tonight, I just can't find my memory card right now.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

Ok, today I tried ducting the air to see what effect that had and the numbers really didn't change. I think I'm going to stick with just allowing the air to free flow in via the newly cut out vents. Has anyone else out there done this? If not I would highly recommend it, simple and keeps things nice and cool.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:41 AM
4th Gear

Hi doose, i too did this when i read the thread,Althought i didnt cut out the number "1" because i still have the stock airbox,but it was a great idea and those numbers really came down too! Great idea!

Old 07-20-2004, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks dude. Glad it worked out. Not bad for such a simple modification. Are you letting the air free flow in through the vents? I tried ducting it, but I think it' better off just free flowing.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:49 AM
4th Gear

Yes, Im just letting the air flow through, I think ducting it would almost be too constrictive for as much air goes through.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:16 AM
2nd Gear

Good point. Did you take off that rubber "gasket" along the firewall too? I think that just helps the air let in by that newly created intake flow through the engine compartment and take heat up over the windshield.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:22 AM
4th Gear

Yes, I took off the rubber "gasket" as well as the plastic piece that runs the whole width of the car, I think like you said earlier it lets the pass through up over the windshield, I never thought it would make that big off difference, but it does, but like 15 degrees.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:29 AM
4th Gear

DOOSE, i think i made a mistake, i just was looking at the diagram with the "1" and "2" on it, well i cut out the piece beside the "2" , like the indented part, is this ok?

Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 AM
3rd Gear

I believe thats what he was talkin bout

Old 07-20-2004, 04:06 AM
2nd Gear

Exactly. You got it... I cut out the whole indented portion and the next to it. What's your email? I'll send it to you. I'm having all kinds of trouble uploading this pic.

Quick Reply: Engine/Intake cooling