Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine keep cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine keep cutting out

Hi guys

I have got a 1997 A4 1.8 with 135,00 Miles on it, recemtly i have been getting some very bizzare problems, when i start the car it start but then just seems to cut out, if i try pressing the throtte nothing happens, there just does not seem to be any power. The car startsengine idles at about 1000 revs for a second then it just dies. It keep diong it every time you start it, but then it will fire up and it will run fine as though there is nothing wrong. there is no pattern either, it wil happen on a cold engine or on a warm engine. I can not understand what it is, any clues?
Also is it possible to reset the service indicator, when i start the car up it flases 'INSP 1' I had the car serveid about months ago when i also had the cambelt, water pump and all pulleys changed too!!

Is there anyone else with a high mileage A4 with similar problems??

Old 11-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Default RE: Engine keep cutting out

when did you last change the fuel filter, check all ground connections and vacuum lines, the book says MAF sensor but that would put the engine warning light on but you don't mention if the light is on??

Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Nope there are no engine warning lights showing at all, with regards to the fuel filter, i know it has not been changed in the last 35k miles, so maybe thats what i need to do. Is this something i can do or will it have to go to a mechanic, is it expensive, i have some mechanical knowledge, easily changed the brake pads and oil but could not do the tranimission oil.
How do i check the vacuum line and ground connections??

Old 11-19-2005, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

dirty or flooded throttle body maybe. You may need a FIS (Fuel Injection Service) clean out, ask a mechanic to tell you if you need it or not. as for the service light do this--> press in the trip odometer button and the same time as you turn the key to the on position (dont start engine). Now on the little diplay it'll say OIL, INSP and whatever else it says. to erase them pull up on the clock stick thing for a second and it will clear. hit the trip odometer again to scroll to the next one, and clear any others it has.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:36 PM

fuel filter is under the car near the fuel tank simple replacement job, lots of things to add in the fuel to boost and clean the system
http://images.google.co.uk/images?sv...ditive&spell=1

Old 11-19-2005, 05:58 PM
4th Gear

Find the codes and post them.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

David999 - How do i find out the codes??

Also i have just had a run in the car when i got home i switched the engine of, thought i would switch it on again to make sure it starts, it fired up first time but now the orange electronic immobiliser light is flashing? Whats goin on????

Old 11-19-2005, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: VB05

as for the service light do this--> press in the trip odometer button and the same time as you turn the key to the on position (dont start engine). Now on the little diplay it'll say OIL, INSP and whatever else it says. to erase them pull up on the clock stick thing for a second and it will clear. hit the trip odometer again to scroll to the next one, and clear any others it has.

Just attempted to do the above but it does not work, when i started the car after trying the above my electronic immobiliser light started to flash???

Old 11-19-2005, 06:25 PM

put key in turn it on "don't start the engine" the light should flash 3 times then go out if not it needs reprogramming and can only be done with diagnostic equipment, flashing immobiliser light means system malfunction

Old 11-19-2005, 06:27 PM

I have heard vag.com cable and software is good for this

Quick Reply: Engine keep cutting out