Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Light On & Glow Plug Light Flashes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default ESP Light On & Glow Plug Light Flashes

Hi All,

I have a 2002 audi a4 avant 2.5 tdi which is great fun but has developed a worrying glitch

The ESP Light (The Triangle hazard thingie) doesnt go out after i start it and indeed it is still visible even whilst driving.

I have tried pushing the esp button but alas the light stays on all the same.

The Glow Plug coil also comes on whilst driving and it flashes contantly whilst driving.

After consulting the manual, it says that the car must be serviced asap if the glow plug starts flashing like that.

I did get it serviced from a private garage, and they reset the clock, but whenever I pressed the service button it would say service in - days and - miles.

Now, when I press the service button it actually gives me numeric values, but since it started giving me numeric values, the lights described above have come on. I think that these two things are linked.

I am thinking of taking it to audi for a service, but before I do, can anyone please tell me if they have had this problem and if it was easily resolved.

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Saj

Old 04-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Default RE: ESP Light On & Glow Plug Light Flashes

try this if it works they didn't reset the service light

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/4698B377008B4A078485C346749F165C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2006, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for that, it is what they did last time as I was there when he did it.

Also, i notice from the text that cars on longlife service need to be reset using 'special' equipment.

My car is on the longlife service plan, so perhaps thats the problem. It just aint been reset properly???

Old 04-09-2006, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

**update.......

I read somewhere on the web that the flashing coil light could be due to a rear brake light being out.

I just got my wife to step on the break pedal and lo-and-behold, both of the brake lights appear to be out.

I find this very strange that both would go out together, , but I will replace the brake lights tomorrow and see if this resolves the problem.

just as an afterthought; I don't suppose there's a fuse that controls the brake lights ??

Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM

yes a fuse does the break lights but I don't have the data on the 2.5 tdi so I don't know which fuse works them, it could also be the break switch come lose or failed, its above the break peddle not so easily seen and twist clips in sometimes it breaks lose

Old 04-09-2006, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

question:-

If the fuse or indeed the switch that you mentioned, had failed or broke, would the light located in the centre of the top of the tailgate still be operational?

Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

****FIX UPDATE

The following is really for the benefit of anyone who has similar symptoms to what my car had.

Problem :-
ESP Light does not go out even after car has started. Pushing the ESP button has no effect.

The glow plug light also starts to flash and will continue to flash until the engine is turned off.

Re-starting the car does not solve these problems.

Answer :-

Check/Replace back brake light(s) bulbs.

if that does not work then
it could still be a fuse, so check to see which fuse controls the back brake light switch.
If that doesnt resolve it, then check/replace the brake light switch located in the driver footwell on top of the brake pedal.

If that still doesnt solve your problem then get the car seen by an audi garage.

Finally, I would just like to say a BIG THANKYOU to birmingham audi (0121 766 2260) for helping me replace the brake bulb the other day.
The screw fell into the space behind the coverings and the lads came out, took out the trim and located the screw and even fitted it for me all for nothing. TOP MARKS - *****

Old 11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Saj

Just seen this to much relief - noted brake light out yesterday and today glow plug started flashing - looked at owners manual and feared the worst! Oh the expense

Feel so happy now after reading your message - matches perfectly with my symptoms - hoping you got it right for me too.

cheers

Tony

Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Smile Much Relief X2

Greetings,

I too suffered from the "What the f*ck is this all about" today when the brake light bulb failure warning light came on closely (but not immediately) with a flashing glow plug light and an ESP light.

I changed the bulb after SWMBO said "It's the one on my side"???

Still had the flashing glow plug light and the others and tried the old, undo the battery connection with zilch response.
Came onto this forum and bingo, here's the answer.
The Brake light fuse was blown.

Can you imagine how much money this fault would have generated to AUDI IF there was no such thing as Computers and forums.
Many thanks to Donsajid for the solution (I hope in the morning when I refit the fuse)

Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

I too suffered from this fault. I was also terrified of the expense. Typed this fault on the internet and way and behold, a solution. Tried it and it has worked. All is sorted now. Thank you so much techbod and donsajid. I can now drive in the knowledge I am safe....